Question Cpu spiking temperature at any load

Apr 21, 2019
Hi, since thursday i noticed my computer was having a bit of high temperature, going up to 80 to 85c on cpu while playing fortnite, i can feel it because my mouse slowsdown and game stutters a bit, since my pc was quite dirty i hire somebody to do a cleaning on my pc, he previously cleaned my pc and worked great, this time when the pc is back any kind of load my cpu goes crazy, and while playing fortnite is constant 99 degrees, stuttering used to happen a few times before, now is happening constantly, i noticed the heatsink itself is not hot at all, but it seems very well fixed to the motherboard. First i thought it was a sensor error but the performance issue is real, so im a little lost and not understanding what the issue really is, im gonna post a image with all the temperatures and specs from HWMonitor : View: https://imgur.com/e4MgaqH

My pc specs are:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits
Motherboard ASUS P8H61-M LX3 R2.0
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (GK104-225) [eVGA
Cooler is stock cooler
8 GB memory

Never did any kind of overclock on any of my devices, but i used MSI Afterburner for awhile to control videocard fanspeed when it started to happen stutterings.

On bios the temperature is 52~54C, while on windows after booting is around 55 to 60, any kind of processing already jumps to 79~80C and any kind of intense processing brings it to 99C
My Video card also reach 80C on load while playing but i dont think thats an issue, my room temperature is not low, quite a hot room because of the roof but still never was like this before, and the weather is not even close to the hottest it already got, i really have no clue on how to fix or where to look for the issue, so i thanks for anybody advice!

After 7-8 years, your factory thermal compound may have dried out and/or hardened...

Full remove power, clean IHS and cooler's underside surface thoroughly, and reapply a very thin layer of quality paste/thermal compound.Reinstall cooler, verify fan is still working, and you should be good barring any mainboard madness regarding core voltages...

Apr 21, 2019
After 7-8 years, your factory thermal compound may have dried out and/or hardened...

Full remove power, clean IHS and cooler's underside surface thoroughly, and reapply a very thin layer of quality paste/thermal compound.Reinstall cooler, verify fan is still working, and you should be good barring any mainboard madness regarding core voltages...

The thermal paste and a full clean was done on the pc, so i dont think thats the issue, the guy that cleaned did it twice to check and he also doesnt know whats going on, the fan is spinning fine but i dont feel the heatsink getting hot, i just dont understand why hwmonitor, msiafterbuner and hwinfo gets 99c temperature on load while speedfan stays at max 75c, and this temperatures conflicts only happened after doing the clean on the pc.

if the heatsink is not even warm, that pretty much tells you heat is not making it from heat shield to the sink...

Ergo, the cooler must not be locked down properly after it's remounting...

This is the factory heat sink, correct? (If it had been a replacement, I'd suspect the tech left a protective sticker on the bottom of the sink/water block, etc...)

Apr 21, 2019
It is the factory heat sink, the thing is the cooler seems to be mounted properly, i tried to check if it was loose, speedfan shows me different temps like showed on second picture.
I tried aida64 stress test on cpu and CPU stays at 70~74C while the core 1~2~3~4 reach the 99 degrees, having an overheating of 13%. I can play fortnite fine when i put my gpu fan at 90%, but everytime things get too messy or heavy it slowsdown, not fps but is just a stutter, mouse become very slow. While watching stream it slowdown sometimes the player too, sometimes it feels my pc is fine and sometimes it feels it is having thermal throttling, but idk what the real temperature is and whats the issue.
Is there any chance the sensor are messed up, and if they are how can i fix or check.

no one ever said Intel's provided coolers were really worthy of stress testing, frankly...

If your gaming temps are under 80-85C, I'd not worry much about stress testing temps...

The heat sink should be warm, however....

I'd search Youtube for instructions on Intel's little push down/quarter turn /plastic locking tab mechanisms, as something is not right if the sink is not warm....

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019
I tried and checked, everything seems fine with fan and cpu, they look properly attached and everything, heatsink does warm a little bit, can feel a bit of warmth around it not so much tho.

Does this make any sense tho, why cpu shows 71C while the cores at such high temperature.
View: https://imgur.com/JRI9cVc

Cpu load there, was only playing a mobile game on LDPlayer, that is a android emulator, but pretty much anything that takes a bit more of cpu gets like that, i never really see cpu going beyond 74C but the cores are always at 99 and throttling, i cant understand whats going on.
While on iddle, my CPU is at 44C and cores at 55C~

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
I tried and checked, everything seems fine with fan and cpu, they look properly attached and everything, heatsink does warm a little bit, can feel a bit of warmth around it not so much tho.

Does this make any sense tho, why cpu shows 71C while the cores at such high temperature.
View: https://imgur.com/JRI9cVc

Cpu load there, was only playing a mobile game on LDPlayer, that is a android emulator, but pretty much anything that takes a bit more of cpu gets like that, i never really see cpu going beyond 74C but the cores are always at 99 and throttling, i cant understand whats going on.
While on iddle, my CPU is at 44C and cores at 55C~

Because they are reading from difference sensors, its normal for the cpu package to be significantly cooler than the cores.

You are still overheating.

Apr 21, 2019
Hello guys, this weekend i tried taking the cooler out reapplying the thermal paste, everything seems fine to me, cooler seems attached but temp readings seems the same, nothing really changed, only thing i noticed is that the motherboard is not completely attached to the case, its missing two screws on the top, can this be the cause or smt? dont really know what to do at this point

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
thats some weird wiring there going over the cooler, but anyway. its just odd that if before it worked fine but after you had it cleaned which would normally mean better temps.
but usually when these high temps happen its almost always a cpu cooling mounting issue or poor application of thermal compound.
you can have it sent back to the guys you gave it to for a cleanup and have them fix it for you since they did something wrong in the first place.

Apr 21, 2019
I can never push down the last black pin throught the plastic, doesnt matter how carefully or brute i try to be, as you guys can see on the pictures, can this be the cause of this concerning temperatures? The cooler itself seems pretty fixed on the motherboard, i replaced thermal paste 4 times already and still get the same results, but last black pin never go fully down.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
no dont force anything, if it wont budge just leave it be you might damage your board. but you can try to send it back to the guys who you asked to clean it. they might be able to fix your problem.

or you can just buy a new aftermarket cooler, a good and cheap one is cooler master hyper 212 evo or its variants with led and what not.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
I can never push down the last black pin throught the plastic, doesnt matter how carefully or brute i try to be, as you guys can see on the pictures, can this be the cause of this concerning temperatures? The cooler itself seems pretty fixed on the motherboard, i replaced thermal paste 4 times already and still get the same results, but last black pin never go fully down.

Yes that is the problem!

Get a new CPU cooler.

Apr 21, 2019
My motherboard is too small for the coolermaster evo 212, it would eat the space of the memory slot, any other decent replacement thats not too expensive, tbh my pc is too old to be worth of an upgrade, so anything slightly better but cheap will do for me. Just want my pc to go back to normal

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
you can search for low profile cpu coolers, noctua has some good ones for example. or maybe you could put the fan on the other side for something like the hyper 212, youd still be pulling air but it might give you enough headroom for your ram.

Apr 21, 2019
Hi guys, the computer is fixed, the cooler was with some issues, they fixed and is now correctly mounted, but on the process one of my ram died. I know this is not the right topic to ask but, i had two 4 gb memory and now i need to replace one, if i get the same brand and spec as the other one, on this case a kingston 4 gb ddr3 1333mhz, will it work fine with the other 4gb that still works?