CPU Spiking to 100%

Zenith1102

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Hi, I recently set my motherboard to Asus optimal which I believe overclocks most things automatically, however I keep hearing my cpu go full power so I checked it in task manager and there is a thing known as System interrupts which kicks in every time I launch anything and spikes my CPU to 100% and then back down to 5-10%. I tried setting the bios back to normal but it still does it. Is there any fix for this?

I have an I7 6700k and an Asus Z170 Pro gaming motherboard.

This is completely normal. Here is a description of what "System Interrupts" is -

"Say you start typing something on your keyboard, for example.

Rather than have a whole process dedicated just to watching for signals from your keyboard, there’s actually a bit of hardware on your motherboard that handles that kind of monitoring.

When it determines that another piece of hardware needs the CPU’s attention, it sends an interrupt signal to the CPU.

If it’s a high priority interrupt (as is usually the case with user input), the CPU suspends whatever process it’s working on, deals with the interrupt, and then resumes its previous process."

Zenith1102

Honorable
May 6, 2017

So its normal for a high level CPU to spike to 100% randomly then go back to nothing? I just feel that it will take its toll on the CPU's life by doing this?

No its just your CPU working as hard as it can, which is what you want it to do when you need it.

Say for instance you want to open a program, your CPU will go to 100% to open that program as quick as it can for you.

You wouldnt want to be sat there waiting for the program to load while your CPU is just running at 60% of its potential would you?

Zenith1102

Honorable
May 6, 2017

So its nothing to worry about then? Just wanted to make sure, thank you