Question CPU/SSD noise when idle

Dec 3, 2021
Hi everybody, I just purchased a new Samsung Galaxy Book (i5-1135g7). I can hear a faint electrical noise/buzzing sound (like morse code) only when the notevook is idle, instead if it is actively working, then the noise disappears. I'm not able to tell you if is coming from the SSD or from the CPU. Online I read about something about C-state and CPU noise. I read that some CPUs can make noise when the PC is idle and it’s like “normal”. I don't know, can you help me?
PS. the notebook is still under warranty.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It can't be from the SSD since they don't carry enough device's power delivery componentry to warrant coil whine. I'd suspect it to be the CPU or the rest of the motherboard, in fact the power delivery area(s) of the motherboard that might be giving the noise off. I would ask you to keep an eye on it but generally they aren't harmful to the laptop in any way.

You could contact Samsung and your seller and run them by what you're experiencing and if it's grounds for an RMA...if it's loud enough that would be grounds for replacement. Also, in your email to them, make sure you have an audible video clip showing that it's you and your laptop/notebook.

Dec 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It can't be from the SSD since they don't carry enough device's power delivery componentry to warrant coil whine. I'd suspect it to be the CPU or the rest of the motherboard, in fact the power delivery area(s) of the motherboard that might be giving the noise off. I would ask you to keep an eye on it but generally they aren't harmful to the laptop in any way.

You could contact Samsung and your seller and run them by what you're experiencing and if it's grounds for an RMA...if it's loud enough that would be grounds for replacement. Also, in your email to them, make sure you have an audible video clip showing that it's you and your laptop/notebook.

First of all thanks for answering 😊 If generally they aren't harmfull too the laptop i just calm down, even if this noise really bored me. Fortunately, i can hear the sound only when the pc is idle and not when it's working. The only thing that worry me, is that the sound anticipate a big problem in future. Is this a sign indicating that my laptop is defective? I don't wanna regret for not making a RMA

Last edited: