CPU start up error

tyjle

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
I want to install windows on my computer, but everytime I load up my monitor there's an error that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."
I tried putting in my windows 7 disk and pressed a key but the error repeats itself on the next line.
I only have one hard drive inside my computer, so I don't know what's up.

Any fixes or a link to another topic with fixes is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Set your bios settings to boot from cd first

Check your bios if your cd drive and your hard drive are listed in there so we can rule out connection problems

rdc85

Honorable
check the cabling to your HDD,...

as Reyaz123 said..
to able boot from cd u have to set it in BIOS so CD-ROM is the first boot..
at BIOS you can see if the HDD is detected or not, if it not detected, your HDD maybe failing

Jon-Doe

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Restart PC
Press F8 over & over while restarting to get BIOS screen
Select BOOT using arrow keys
Select CD-Drive as boot priority(Select using ENTER or mouse)
Exit in top right and select Save & reset

Have windows disk inserted into pc before doing this

tyjle

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

I check my boot menu and only my hard drive is available, not my usb 2.0 cd drive.

Reyaz123

Admirable
Oh so you are using USB? Take note of your bios settings before doing this so you can change them back later.

Go into your bios settings
Under the security tab, disable secure boot (If you see fast boot too, disable that as well)

Go to advanced tab, select system configuration (press enter on it)
Enable csm

If you see any legacy usb settings in your bios anywhere, enable it

Save settings and reboot

tyjle

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

Whenever I press F8 a menu flashes but then instantly goes to something that tells me to pick a boot device. Not sure if this is the riht one, because only my harddrive shows up here.

tyjle

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

Not sure how to do this.

(Sorry I've never built a computer before)

tyjle

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

Ok, I got to the BIOS setup menu, but can't find a security tab. The only taps I have are (in order): Main, Advanced, Power, Boot, Tools, and Exit.

There is a security option in Boot but the only options in security are Change supervisor password and Change user password.

Reyaz123

Admirable

Ok, so first try what jon-doe said. Go to the boot tab, switch the order of the boot devices by pressing the - or + key on your keyboard. Bring the cd drive to the top of the list (or usb)

Go to the exit tab and save settings and exit

tyjle

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

The CD drive is the first device now but I still get the same message.

Reyaz123

Admirable
Did you create or burn that windows installation cd yourself? or it came with your pc?

The steps I listed above with secure boot and everything else, go through all of those bios tabs and settings
If you find those settings, follow those steps

tyjle

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

No, i didn't burn the disk. I got it from Windows.

I found something in the boot options. It says items in parentheses has been disabled in the corresponding type menu. All of them are in [] so i'm pretty sure they're disabled. I don;t know how to get to their "corresponding type menus" though.

Reyaz123

Admirable

Here are the settings again so you wouldn't have to scroll up to find them

disable secure boot
select system configuration (press enter on it)
Enable csm

legacy usb: enable it

tyjle

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

The only one of those options I could find was legacy usb which I enabled.

I found something in the boot options. It says items in parentheses has been disabled in the corresponding type menu. All of them are in [] so i'm pretty sure they're disabled. I don;t know how to get to their "corresponding type menus" though.

Reyaz123

Admirable
If they are greyed out, you cannot change them.

Since you changed the usb legacy to enabled, go to the boot tab and change the boot priority to usb first (if you havent already) save your bios settings. Try rebooting your PC with the usb plugged in once more

tyjle

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

I have changed it to my cd rom, however it seems to be disabled. Like I said in my last post, the Cd Rom along with my hard drive are both in square brackets. A caption on the right says "A device enclosed in parentheses has been disabled in the corresponding type menu." I don't know where or what the corresponding type menu actually is.

Reyaz123

Admirable
Ok thanks. You see that option in your boot tab that says removable device? Move that to the top of the list and put the CD ROM as the second option. Save and reboot.

Hope this helps, let me know if you got the error message and which one

Edit: It appears your bios is disabling your USB device from being used I'll look into it

You can try pressing the esc key many times at boot again, it will list your boot devices and maybe the USB will be listed there for selection. If not

I noticed something else in your bios that possibly has these options in this other post

In your advanced tab, press enter on the chipset, onboard, and USB configuration options and follow these steps in this other post (if anything looks similar here)
http://www.opal-rt.com/kb-article/how-activate-usb-ports-bios

tyjle

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

Unfortunately, putting Removable device before CD ROM doesn't help.

Also, my options are much different than the ones shown in the article. For example, instead of Advanced Chipset Control mine says Chipset and in it I don't have South Bridge Configuration.

Reyaz123

Admirable
Well, that's strange. Send a screenshot of your chipset, onboard devices config, and USB configuration (press enter on each one)

Also your boot settings configuration (press enter on that too, it is located in your boot tab) and inside that security option (inside boot tab as well)

TRENDING THREADS