Question CPU status LED on after testing cpu in a different motherboard

Nov 17, 2019
Hello everyone,

I've tried a new build this weekend. Not an expert but not my first build. I run into some problems (no POST, EZ debug led on MSI Z390-a pro with i9-9900K). When trying to figure out if the problem with the new build was the mobo or the CPU, I tried an i3-8100 from another build that has been working just fine. The i3 didn't work either with the new mobo, but when I put the i3 back in its original mobo (aorus Z370 gaming wifi), I get the CPU led light on, the light stays for a few secs then DRAM led light on, fans spinning, and no screen display. The i3 looks OK and the socket too (no pins bent, no thermal paste went into the pins).
Now, I don't have either my old computer or my new build.
Any ideas? thanks in advance

Lutfij

Titan
Which one would you like us to tackle? The old(working machine) or the newly built NO POST machine? I'll start with the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming Wifi system. Have you made sure the CPU was placed in the exact position you found it in? A lot of people tend to forget the arrow at the corner to orient the CPU when dropping into the socket.

Also, might want to see if the same issue persists after you remove the CMOS battery from the board and replacing said battery after 15 mins.

Nov 17, 2019
Which one would you like us to tackle? The old(working machine) or the newly built NO POST machine? I'll start with the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming Wifi system. Have you made sure the CPU was placed in the exact position you found it in? A lot of people tend to forget the arrow at the corner to orient the CPU when dropping into the socket.

Also, might want to see if the same issue persists after you remove the CMOS battery from the board and replacing said battery after 15 mins.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I put the cpu back on the Z370 in the correct position. I haven't tried to clear the CMOS yet. I'll try that and update later.

Any suggesting about the new build?

Nov 17, 2019
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I put the cpu back on the Z370 in the correct position. I haven't tried to clear the CMOS yet. I'll try that and update later.

Any suggesting about the new build?

Hi again,
It seems that clearing CMOS solved the problem. I did the battery first, but that alone didn't fix it. Then try battery out for 15min and short the CMOS pins for about 10 seconds. This time I got a different LED code on the mobo. The DRAM light was on constantly. I switched two of my RAM slots. Now the system boots normally, and I haven't lose any data.

Thank you SO MUCH.

About the new build, I decided to send back the mobo (I inspected it more carefully, and I think there is a small scratch in the back, maybe that have damaged some connection)

Thanks again to the forum