[SOLVED] CPU staying at 30%

Feb 1, 2020
My specs are:
RX 470 8gb
AMD fx 8300 8 core
8GB ram ddr4

Most of the time I'm playing games, my CPU is staying inbetween 15% - 30% usage while my GPU is at 95-100%. ( I'm not sure but I think my GPU is bottlenecking )
What can I do to fix this?
Happens to me playing any kind of game (CS:GO,Roblox,Fortnite,Steep,Apex Legends)

Solution
That's not a bottleneck. From what I understand you want low CPU usage and high GPU usage. A GPU can bottleneck a CPU though. But IMO that isn't the case here.

Your GPU usage should be high. That means your GPU is being used to the fullest extent it can be, which is good. You would want to see that.

The games you have listed there don't sound like any of the more recent highly demanding games. I know of at least two of them, though I don't play them.

Unless you are seeing something like a sporadic frame rate, the game stutters a lot and just doesn't feel smooth I wouldn't worry about it. You would have to be dropping frames a lot. You didn't say you were having that issue.

It's just my opinion but your GPU and CPU seem to be fine...

cuaiwp

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
Hello, yes, it's definitively bottlenecking.
Maybe you should try an overclock, otherwise invest in a better CPU.

EDIT: You're sure that the GPU Is at 100%, or is it the CPU? Temps? Have you tried reinstalling drivers?

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
That's not a bottleneck. From what I understand you want low CPU usage and high GPU usage. A GPU can bottleneck a CPU though. But IMO that isn't the case here.

Your GPU usage should be high. That means your GPU is being used to the fullest extent it can be, which is good. You would want to see that.

The games you have listed there don't sound like any of the more recent highly demanding games. I know of at least two of them, though I don't play them.

Unless you are seeing something like a sporadic frame rate, the game stutters a lot and just doesn't feel smooth I wouldn't worry about it. You would have to be dropping frames a lot. You didn't say you were having that issue.

It's just my opinion but your GPU and CPU seem to be fine. You want CPU usage to be lower than GPU usage if possible. You seem to have a well balanced set up.

Now you can lower your GPU usage by using Vsync and turning down graphics settings. You generally want a high GPU usage.

Also don't freak out if you see low GPU usage and low CPU usage. You see this in older and less demanding games. I was just playing Doom 2016 and I had GPU usage at about 50-55% and CPU usage was below this most of the time. It depends on what was going on. My gameplay was nice and smooth. No issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX
Solution