Question CPU staying at 60-70c while idle (no overclock) and getting to 80-95 while gaming. CPU Led also turning on red when gaming.

Apr 20, 2021
So my CPU recently started running pretty hot (i7-6700k few years old), ended up getting a new PSU and a new CPU cooler, nothings changed. The CPU led turns on and becomes red every now and then under load and I currently do not have the money to replace it. Could it be CPU failure or something else, any help?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it freezes up while gaming and my keyboard and mouse refuse to work for a few minutes.
EDIT 2: I have another guy trying to help me figure out what's going on through discord, so far we found out that my CPU is running at 1.4v instead of its usual 1.25v - 1.3v.
EDIT 3: Fixed my temp issues only thing that's happening now is the red led turning on when i boot, and my keyboard and mouse cutting out

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021
what CPU cooler,
and what is your overall system cooling setup?

what PSU,
and what is the make\model of the one you replaced?
I just got and installed the new cooler today, its a deepcool gammaxx gte v2 and my psu died so i replaced it with the same one a corsair cv650, the psu I got on sunday.
I have another guy trying to help me figure out what's going on through discord so far we found out that my cpu is running at 1.4v instead of its usual 1.25v and we are trying to fix that.

and what is your overall system cooling setup?
...what case, the intake\exhaust setup, what type of PWM fan curve or static RPM fans?

what temperatures is it reaching while idle, while gaming, and while stress testing?
found out that my cpu is running at 1.4v instead of its usual 1.25v and we are trying to fix that.
after manually setting 1.25v in the BIOS it is running at a static 1.4v?
or are you just using the optimized defaults?

what are you using to measure the voltage in the OS?

Apr 20, 2021
...what case, the intake\exhaust setup, what type of PWM fan curve or static RPM fans?

what temperatures is it reaching while idle, while gaming, and while stress testing?
after manually setting 1.25v in the BIOS it is running at a static 1.4v?
or are you just using the optimized defaults?

what are you using to measure the voltage in the OS?
I fixed the temps and all that its just the light turning on when booting then turning off and my keyboard and mouse just not working every now and then.