Question cpu steady 100c

Sep 30, 2020
Hi so im relatively new to PCs, but everywhere i read Cpu temps should idle around 40c and in game usually 65c? I've had my PC for about 2 years. Never once until this year i've decided to look up my stats : GPU CPU usage, temps, etc... i've first noticed my cpu usage really high around 90 percent despite the fact that my graphics settings are at high 1440p. Also my cpu temps stay steady at 98-100 during games or even downloading.

So i read on forums i could try reapplying thermal paste. As i took off my AIO i noticed there was thermal paste "overspilling" off my cpu and aslo around the little cpu lever thing, looked on the back of my AIO and theres buildup of thermal paste in the shape of my cpu. Apparently who every build my pc used too much. So i cleaned it, accidentally bent 2 cpu socket pins, bent them back slightly, reseated cpu, reapplied thermal paste (artic Mx-4), re installed the AIO, Booted up and in idle it sits at 86C now. Any thoughts?

Bought my PC from cyberPower
i7 9700k
Msi Mag z390 tomahawk mobo
corsair 3000mhz ram 16gb
nzxt kraken m22 AIO
rtx 2070
650 corsair 80 plus gold power supply

also have 6 case fans so i dont think its that?

dimtodim

Reputable
Hi so im relatively new to PCs, but everywhere i read Cpu temps should idle around 40c and in game usually 65c? I've had my PC for about 2 years. Never once until this year i've decided to look up my stats : GPU CPU usage, temps, etc... i've first noticed my cpu usage really high around 90 percent despite the fact that my graphics settings are at high 1440p. Also my cpu temps stay steady at 98-100 during games or even downloading.

So i read on forums i could try reapplying thermal paste. As i took off my AIO i noticed there was thermal paste "overspilling" off my cpu and aslo around the little cpu lever thing, looked on the back of my AIO and theres buildup of thermal paste in the shape of my cpu. Apparently who every build my pc used too much. So i cleaned it, accidentally bent 2 cpu socket pins, bent them back slightly, reseated cpu, reapplied thermal paste (artic Mx-4), re installed the AIO, Booted up and in idle it sits at 86C now. Any thoughts?

i7 9700k
corsair 3000mhz ram 16gb
nzxt kraken m22 AIO
rtx 2070

itas time for service nzxt kraken m22

Sep 30, 2020
Darn, i had a hunch that might've been the case. I ordered a better one just incase, x63 140x2. hopefully this fixes it. Thank you for the response.

bigbobsmith1968

Honorable
Sep 18, 2018

i7 9700k
corsair 3000mhz ram 16gb
nzxt kraken m22 AIO
rtx 2070

i7 9700k
corsair 3000mhz ram 16gb
nzxt kraken m22 AIO
rtx 2070

I am not the best at pcs either, I usually am the one asking questions, but something is wrong here... As I said I am not the best at PCs so if any of these suggestions are stupid I am sorry, also I am fine being corrected!

1 - You could try replacing the coolant
2 - I Don’t think this will help but, make sure when you reapplied thermal paste make sure you cleaned it off entirely
3 - Make sure the cooler is mounted properly, I know this sounds basic but if it’s not properly mounted it could be hindering temps
4 - Get a new liquid / air cooler the most obvious but the most expensive I don’t know much about liquid coolers but for an air cooler I recommend the
NH-D15

I use a stock cooler and get much cooler temps then you so, you have something wrong, I had a problem a lot like you, I was getting around 80-90c my cooler wasn’t mounted properly, and the thermal paste was not on properly... If I helped I am glad, if I didn’t, sorry!

If the pump is not running that might result in such high idle temps. @bigbobsmith1968 is on the money with most of his recommendations except for changing the fluid. AIOs can not and generally should not be opened as it's next to impossible to refill them properly and the fluid inside is generally not simple water.