Question CPU stock clock wrong in CPU-z/BIOS

lepb88

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
Hi, I've been looking around quite a bit in several forums and tech sites, including several forums right here, and haven't found any satisfying explanation/solution yet.
Let me begin with my specs:

CPU: FX-8300 3.30Ghz stock, turbo up to 4.2Ghz
MB: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
RAM: Corsair vengeance DDR3 1600 4x8gb=16gb
HDD: Seagate ST500DM002 (OS drive), WD 5000AAKX (backup drive),
SSD: Kingston SA400s37120G (120gb for some games)
GPU: ASUS GeForce 1070 {latest nvidia drivers installed today v.441.08)
PSU: CM GX-750 80+ bronze
Cooling: CM Hyper 212 Plus + 1 chassis fan + 1 HDD dedicated fan

I know it ain't nasa's main server, but it was all I could afford at the time (3yrs ago). (and no, i didn't spent +400$ on that GPU and keep a budget for the rest. the GPU was a gift from a year ago). Also, I know it's a cheap MB but it's been ok so far. It sure has limitations and with new games running out every month, i've seen some performance drops but nothing to die for.

But that's not the problem. I've been running stock clock on my CPU since I got it, given that I've read this isn't a superb MB for OC'ing, but last week I saw a video of someone doing some low OC on this very MB so I figured to give it a try since I got a good cooler and a certified PSU and also the room I have my PC in it's very cold so it won't suffer for hot air temperatures.
and so I did. the guy on the video had a FX-6300 and put it on manual OC on 250 (BIOS stated it has to be between 200 and 550) so I figured to go slowly and see how it goes, so I put it in 210 and I got 3.63GHz on my BIOS info page, then put it on 220 and got 3.80GHz, and finally put it in 230 and got 3.93GHz and didn't want to go further. I checked my system stability, played some games and stuff, then I decided to check my numbers on CPU-Z to see how it was going (there're some values I don't understand but the core clocks are there so there's no mistake in that, and here comes the issue: CPUZ shows I have been running my core clock on 4.13GHz and I was shocked, I tought S#it this thin is gonna burn any minute from now so i turned it off right away and checked the BIOS to see if i had something wrong, BUT the BIOS still displayed 3.93GHz and then I said WTF, so I boot again, check CPU-Z and HWmonitor to see if it was the CPU-z bugged or something but both CPU-Z and HW monitor shows I have the same clock speed.

So, i figured it was a BIOS issue so I reset it clearing the CMOS jumper and reseting everything to default again. BIOS displayed my CPU in stock clock 3.30GHz and when I checked CPU-Z it shows i have 3616MHz or 3.61GHz in core clock.

This are the exact values displayed on CPU-Z without running any programs
MAX TDP: 94.9W
Core Voltage: is variable, from 0.936 to 1.440 v, mostly stable at 1.356v
Clocks (core #0)
core speed: variable linked to voltage variations, from 1.406MHz to 4.218MHz. mostly stable at 3.615.9MHZ
Multiplier: variable as well, linked to voltage and core speed variations, from x7.0 to x21, mostly stable at x18.0
bus speed 200.9 (static)
Rated FSB (2209.7MHz (static)

other values haven't change at any moment.
so, what I could grasp so far is that the core clock shifts from 0.936v, 1406MHz x7.0 multiplier, to 1.440v, 4.218MHz x18.0 multi.
this changes ocurr without any load, and from second to second. they don't remain stable for too long, but it mostly keeps at 3.615MHz or 3.61GHz, which is not normal since it SHOULD be at stock clock 3.30GHz given that I just reset the bios setting and there's no OC running at the moment. Windows task manager still shows the base clock at 3.30. but both HWmonitor and CPU-z shows the same variations but my bios won't.

SO.. is there something wrong with my BIOS or is there something wrong with how CPU-z and HWmonitor are showing the stock clock values?

Also, in the memory tab, the timings show that my ram is running at 669.6MHz (dram frequency) and i know I have to doble that up so it gives me 1333MHz and my rams ar 1600 all of them, they're identical so they should run at 1600, so the dram freq should be 800 (x2=1600 right?) and it shows that it's running dual channel where it says Channels #: Dual, NB frequency 2209.7MHz so I dont get that too..

so please, would somebody light things up.. I'd be really appreciated.

PD: I've been thinkin' about reinstall windows 10 and put it into my SSD and leave the HDD's to game files and backup files.. given that my SSD is only 120gb so would that be a good idea? thanks for your kind help.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
do you have turbo boost activated on start up the other point use hwinfo and post the picture of main page detection and the sensor page for the ram what is the jedec cpu-z spd read for max speed compare to you readings in the memory tab .

lepb88

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
Here are the caps

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fHkJJuxMiLsIsxhKTspcHxSopCIzDWLW
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16TEBRu9wkTt8gDzFa-b9EBc4Elk6OPQc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xsHSsijRX1qxF0SGMZ976UPZSKh9twTK

I think this MB does not have a Turbo boost option.. however it does have an unleashing mode under CPU configuration tab inside the BIOS, but that only seems to work when you manually modify the bus clock speed, cause otherwise it seems to have no effect on clock speed, I've check that already.

lepb88

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
That I tried a LONG time ago, but this MB is old.. and it came with the last BIOS version, which is 2101 (i think). thing is i download the latest version from asus web quite a while ago and tried to install it and it shows a message that the BIOS i'm trying to install is the same I already have so i guess there's no newer version, and this MB was meant up to windows 7 since I could not find any drivers for windows 10. I tried to download the utilities from asus and it pops an error when I try installing them on win10. so no luck on that part.

but neverthless, the MB is going well so far.. stable and no errors but this is very confusing since I don't know what to believe in, the BIOS or CPU-z

lepb88

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
So i tried doing OC again and i got stable readings at 3959MHz x18 @1.476volt.. it's keepin constant so far.. I'm gonna check out the BIOS to see what clock speed it shows... also I put manual memory speed at 1600mhz and CPU-z shows dram frequency at 880mhz.

EDIT: check'd BIOS and it shows 3.6GHz so the difference between CPU-z and BIOS is bout ~300mhz.. donno why but at least it's stable at 3.9 (or 3.6, don't even know what to believe right now)

Last edited: