Question CPU Struggling to cool down

Feb 23, 2023
I have a 10 core Intel i5-12600k, cooled by a Thermaltake Toughair 510, and after the CPU gets hot (80-90), it struggles to cool down lower than ~55°C after that, at around 1% load.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Feb 23, 2023
Poor case airflow, a conflicting fan setup, or both, will do that.
If we just had those details... or some pictures(image hosting site required).
The case fan config is the stock config for the Corsair Spec-Delta case (3x 120mm Intake at the front, 1x 120mm Exhaust at the top back. The CPU heatsink is sandwiched between 2 120mm fans, where both fans’ intakes are facing the intakes of the case.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/226/7VEsKq.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The case fan config is the stock config for the Corsair Spec-Delta case (3x 120mm Intake at the front, 1x 120mm Exhaust at the top back. The CPU heatsink is sandwiched between 2 120mm fans, where both fans’ intakes are facing the intakes of the case.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/226/7VEsKq.jpg
Quite the hard wall there at the front for fans. Try removing that front panel and see if it continues.

Reactions: TinyTeeth437
Feb 23, 2023
What are your ambient room air temps? As for your build, what is the make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard? How are the fans tethered in your build?
Ambient Room Temp is 73°F (Give or take ~2°). Gigabyte B660 Gaming X AX rev 1.0 (BIOS Ver F21, the most recent) with 4x 4–pin System fan connectors. They are connected via the 3-pin connectors from the fans with the plastic railing on the connecter clipping into the motherboard header.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It has only been tried on Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, with Opera GX, Xbox App, and the Oculus App as other background applications
Ok. Unless you're actively using those apps alongside the game, those are just hanging on the ram.

Are you running Wallpaper Engine, or anything else that might be using the gpu after a session is done?
Because if the cores sit around 55C, that would mean the temperature of the air inside the case is about the same.

Also out of curiosity since I haven't profiled an Intel machine in forever, but run HWiNFO and see what temperatures it reports on the CPU vs. whatever you're using to read the temperature.

I assume Intel reports average temperature as the CPU temperature, but I'd like to know for certain what it's doing.