CPU stuck at 100% load?

computeguy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I think this may be a virus. Can anyone confirm this? I made the idiotic mistake of downloading Prime95 without Norton installed. I discovered this when I ran a simple blend test for P95, temps went up to 40C, when the test ended I watched them, waiting for them to go back down, but they didn't. Then, I noticed the CPU usage was still at 100%. What could this be?

I don't think it is a virus it sound like Prime 95 is still running in the background. I would go into task manger and see if it is running under applications and if it isn't check proccesses. You can also go into MSConfig and shut it down there or just uninstall it.

computeguy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

I think you're right...I shut down the computer before consulting Tom's, so obviously all if any instances of P95 should have stopped running, and once I saw your reply, I booted it back it and the temps went back down to about 30C. Another question: Temperatures are supposed to be a little higher than normal right when you boot up because it's still loading everything up, right?

computeguy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

No issues since I restarted, which should have cleared everything, but one question: I chose a blend test, and let it run for a little, but then it closed on it's own (or so I thought). Maybe I did accidentally hit the x, my cursor was near it.

Whatever it was you didn't shut it down and it was running in the background. If your temps went down and task manager isn't reading 100% CPU usage you should be fine.