[SOLVED] CPU Stuck at 38-40 multiplier

Dec 15, 2018
Okay, ive tried everything.

I use to have my i7 6850k running rocksteady at 4400MHZ.

I ran into a problem with a program and one of the suggested 'fixes' was to turn off overclocking. Well I went into my bios for my Asus Rampage V Extreme 3.1 and reset everything to default.

Now for some reason. I cannot get my CPU to go past 3.8 to 4.0. I set the multiplier for all six cores to 44 and it refuses to acknowledge I have done so. In windows in CPU-Z and Intel's tuning utility. It says the same. When before everything would ready 4400MHz

I am stumped and can't get to go back to the way it was. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Yeap it is a windows patch that screws with the intel microcode, found dozens of people having same issue with my same build. Only fix is to download mcupdate_genuineintel.dll file, an older version of it. Take possession of the current .dll file. Rename the file to .old and replace it with the older version of the DLL file.

Soon as I did that, my overclocks returned.

Dec 15, 2018
It has auto overclocking yeah but it sets the voltage to ridiculous levels, I only ever used it once and checked the voltage.. and it was on like 1.6 I believe. I will give it a try. I am checking overclocking by BLK, which I know isn't recommended but I am wanting to see if any settings I put in sticks at all.

I also noticed on CPU-Z that it had next to my current multiplier "(12-40)" which I am guessing what CPU-Z says is my multiplier range.. but I know ive had it set on 44 before. Unless I simply never noticed.

Dec 15, 2018
So just a little update: It DOES let me change the BLK and overclock the processor like that. Like I mentioned in my previous post it says next to Multiplier "x 38.0" (which nothing I do in bios changes this at all) "( 12 - 40 )". So I changed it in my bios to 40 instead of 44. it STILL says 38 x and my core speed still runs at 3800. No matter what I set the multiplier to. I tried underclocking the multiplier with the same results.

HOWEVER, like I said above. It does let me overclock by changing the BLK. I just can't change the multiplier at all.

Think I should try flashing bios? or is there some sort of setting I am missing here? I would really hate to flash bios cause that can always cause MORE problems I didn't have before.. though I am still stumped.

I bumped the BLK up to 102.00 and its stable at 3875.29.

What is weird though is that the base speed for the i7 6850k is 3600 with a boost of 4000 I think.

Not sure what to do here. I don't wanna bump the BLK up to far because I know its tied to pretty much everything

Dec 15, 2018
Found out after tons of digging around online that there is actually a windows update that causes this to happen. It has to do with the Spectra vulnerabilities patch that came out in August. I just haven't noticed it apparently. Only thing to do is replace the microcode for intel in the system 32 folder. Fixes it. Apparently on Broadwell-E and Haswell-E chips, it can causes windows to remove overclocking when it loads windows.

Dec 15, 2018
Yeap it is a windows patch that screws with the intel microcode, found dozens of people having same issue with my same build. Only fix is to download mcupdate_genuineintel.dll file, an older version of it. Take possession of the current .dll file. Rename the file to .old and replace it with the older version of the DLL file.

Soon as I did that, my overclocks returned.

Solution