CPU stuck at 60%??

muffinmanbored

Prominent
Nov 2, 2018
I have an Hp Pavilion that I usually use for gaming, but lately its been lagging pretty hard when I play and the cause (I think) is system.exe. I found it to be running at 60% all the time sometimes dropping to 58 or 59 but never less and never more. ive tried chkdsk ive tried a couple more built in scans to check for drive problems and nothing, I was told on a forum to use windows performance recorder to see what exacly it was and it was ndtdll.dll and kernel32.dll at this point I don't know what to do, any help will be appreciated

Solution
These are windows processes, the operating system that you use takes up resources in the background before you even start using any other program. If you have an older computer or just generally one without much power windows will take up a lot of its resources on its own.

However you say it has only been lagging 'recently' so I will help you do a little bit of investigation before we come to a conclusion.

1. What are your system specs?

2. Have you tried running antivirus software? I recommend malwarebytes, you may have malware on your system that is causing this spike in usage.

Calvin_27

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
These are windows processes, the operating system that you use takes up resources in the background before you even start using any other program. If you have an older computer or just generally one without much power windows will take up a lot of its resources on its own.

However you say it has only been lagging 'recently' so I will help you do a little bit of investigation before we come to a conclusion.

1. What are your system specs?

2. Have you tried running antivirus software? I recommend malwarebytes, you may have malware on your system that is causing this spike in usage.

Solution

muffinmanbored

Prominent
Nov 2, 2018

its a fault on my part, i had meant to start the scan when this all started but i put it off because my computer kept restarting for scans and other possible fixes, pretty sure itll be solved after the scan is done
however my specs are

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 6600U @ 2.50GHz 67 °C
Skylake-U/Y 14nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
HP 820C (U3E1) 68 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 520 (HP)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce 940MX (HP) 43 °C
ForceWare version: 398.36
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS541010A9E680 (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
hp DVDRW DA8A6SH
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Calvin_27

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Yes, the scan will be taking up a lot of resources on your computer. One this ended it will most likely speed up, let me know.

You can go into your antivirus software (or whatever the scan is your doing) change it in the settings so it only runs manually and not at a scheduled time, so this doesn't happen when you are trying to play a game or use the computer.

muffinmanbored

Prominent
Nov 2, 2018

the scan found some malware and bitcoin mining crap labeled as system.exe which is what was taking up a lot of cpu so it was me being thoughtless lol and thanks for your time!

Calvin_27

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

Glad to hear that you have got it sorted. Make sure you know what you are downloading and that you scan everything after you have downloaded it. It also may be advisable to change the passwords on your accounts as these may have been compromised.

Also make sure you are checking your bank statements thoroughly due to you having malware on your computer your details may have been stolen, this is unlikely however but it is better to check.

All the best.