Question CPU stuck at 800mhz

Rollotamassi

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Hello all,

I am having an issue with a brand new Dell Precision 5530.. The system was extremely laggy and slow right out of the box. This seemed of for a fairly high end system. I did a complete re-install of Windows 10 and the problem persisted. I did some Googling and found multiple threads about processor throttling causing this issue. I downloaded CPU-Z as instructed in a thread on the dell support forums and found that my processor was being capped at 800mhz. I found several other threads that had a few suggestions to fix the issue.

Using a program called Throttlestop to turn of BDProchot - This had no effect on my system. Even with BDprochot unchecked my CPU was still capped at 800mhz

Remove back cover - unplug battery. I tried this multiple times for multiple intervals and pressing and holding the power button for different lengths of time. This did not fix my issue.

Used the Dell utility to update all drivers - No change

Updated BIOS from 1.50 to 1.60 - No change

One odd thing that I did notice. The CPU does not appear to be throttled when I boot in safe mode. Because it's a fresh install of Windows this leads me to believe it's a driver issue but I have no idea where to start looking. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

winks42

Respectable
Get hwinfo and check temp. Reset ALL power plans in windows and select max performance to see if that works. Also when you took the battery out did you wait a minute? Some mobos need at least 30 sec to reset.

Rollotamassi

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Assuming I am reading the output correctly the highest temp I am seeing is 51C. How do you reset a powerplan? I left the battery unplugged for 5 mins and held the power but for 1 min.

Thanks!

Edit - Also, I don't seem to have any power plan settings other than balanced.

Edit2- I was able to find a post on a windows forum that walked methought enabling the other power plans. I enabled ultimate performance but the CPU is still running at 800mhz