Question CPU stuck at base clock speed (Help!)

Dec 7, 2022
Hello All,
I'm currently using a mid 2019 Razer blade laptop, Running windows 11. The CPU is an i7 - 9750H.
The issue I have is that the CPU used to go above 2.6ghz, up to more then 3.6ghz and above. Right now the CPU refuses to run anything over 2.6ghz. This is for CPU intensive tasks or such as gaming. The bios is still Razer 1.05 from 2019. It is almost like this function for going to a higher clock speed is now disabled.
I've also noticed on ThrottleStop my Turbo Ratio limits are all at 0, and that I cannot edit it. I don't know if it is due to the updates from windows 11 or if it is something else. My set multiplier is also disabled, and cannot modify the speed to higher.
I've tried the following solutions:
  1. Change windows power mode option to best performance.
  2. Change the maximum processor state to 100%
  3. Change to high performance plan in Power & Battery
  4. Disable Intelppm registry in Registry editor from 3 to 4
  5. Edit Maximum processor frequency, under processor power management, via Registry Editor, and setting maximum value to over 3000?
  6. Bios show turbo is enabled
    Any suggestions gentlemen? Perhaps I should retrace a certain step?
    Thanks!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Try and see if reinstalling your chipset drivers helps alleviate the issue. Have you checked with Razer's Synapse app to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates? As for your OS, I would try and perform a precautionary measure, backup all critical content off the laptop, create a bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, then reinstall the OS, after a format.

With all due respect, I stopped tinkering under the hood of the OS after Windows 7, considering how any hiccup can cause the OS to go belly up.

Reactions: norcalsc
on ThrottleStop my Turbo Ratio limits are all at 0
ThrottleStop does not work correctly in Windows 11 if you have any of the Virtualization Based Security features enabled. It will report 0 or some other odd ball numbers in the FIVR window.

updates from Windows 11
Yes, that is the problem.

Here is how to disable VBS. You also need to disable Core Isolation Memory Integrity
https://beebom.com/how-disable-virtualization-based-security-vbs-windows-11/

Should you do this? Should you disable all of Windows 11 new and improved security features? It is up to you. Do you want a computer that runs at its rated speed?

If you need to use WSL2 then you will need to leave VBS enabled.

Set Intelppm back to its original value and set any other registry mods you did back to their original value. After you disable VBS, reboot and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR window so I can see if you have correctly disabled VBS.

Dec 7, 2022
Hi uWebb429,

I've done the following/ reverts:

1. Reverted Changed regedit (Control frequency) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100 Change the "Attributes" entry from 1 to 2. Reverted back to 1.

2. Intelppm: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm. - reverted back to 3

3. Deleted the old Throttlestop.ini file, see the below pics for the current Throttlestop main page and FIVR for reference

4. Maximum processor frequency: Reverted to 1 from 2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100

5. Disabled VBS via the link provided

The question now is that right now the CPU is only running a maximum of 798.54 MHz. It is stuck at this speed, and is now running lower then the before 2.6 MHz.

The good news is it seems the Turbo ratio limits are now visible.

Also, on a side note, the Razer synapse is running CPU at high, power plan is on my custom plan 1, on battery and processor maximum is set 100%

Update

Just checked the bios and rebooted the PC. Turbo is enabled.
I closed the Throttle stop before it opened for bootup, and now the CPU is floating around 4.00 MHz! Should I now use the Throttlestop as normal, and reset all the settings? Hoping for a maximum speed of 3.5MHz, and around 80*C to prevent overheat/ lowering power usage etc

Please advise, thanks!

2qHTQ6.png
JtuCWD.png

ThrottleStop does not work correctly in Windows 11 if you have any of the Virtualization Based Security features enabled. It will report 0 or some other odd ball numbers in the FIVR window.

Yes, that is the problem.

Here is how to disable VBS. You also need to disable Core Isolation Memory Integrity
https://beebom.com/how-disable-virtualization-based-security-vbs-windows-11/

Should you do this? Should you disable all of Windows 11 new and improved security features? It is up to you. Do you want a computer that runs at its rated speed?

If you need to use WSL2 then you will need to leave VBS enabled.

Set Intelppm back to its original value and set any other registry mods you did back to their original value. After you disable VBS, reboot and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR window so I can see if you have correctly disabled VBS.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022
Hi Lutfi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try reinstalling drivers, reinstall OS as a last resort!
For the drivers, is it all drivers, or just intel ones?

As for the bios, I'm still doing research to see if I need to update my dated bios. This is because I see people mention downloading the latest bios may have slowed their pc's performance...

All the best,

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Try and see if reinstalling your chipset drivers helps alleviate the issue. Have you checked with Razer's Synapse app to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates? As for your OS, I would try and perform a precautionary measure, backup all critical content off the laptop, create a bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, then reinstall the OS, after a format.

With all due respect, I stopped tinkering under the hood of the OS after Windows 7, considering how any hiccup can cause the OS to go belly up.

Hopefully you mean 4.00 GHz.

ThrottleStop 8.72 is many years old. The WinRing0 driver it uses is not secure so you should not still be using this version.

Use ThrottleStop 9.5
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

When your CPU is stuck using the 8.00 multiplier and running at 798 MHz, open the Limit Reasons window and see if BD PROCHOT is lighting up red. Clear the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen if you have this problem. This is a serious throttling method which is over used by some manufacturers. Whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not, your CPU will still be able to slow down to protect itself if it ever gets too hot so no worries there.

To limit the maximum CPU speed, if the turbo ratios in the FIVR window are not locked, you can lower the turbo ratios to slow the CPU down and reduce its heat output. If your BIOS has locked the turbo ratios, check the Speed Shift option in the TPL window and lower the Speed Shift Max value. Use whatever method works for you.

Post some screenshots of the updated ThrottleStop version if you have any questions.

Reactions: Maxz777

TRENDING THREADS