[SOLVED] CPU stuck at base clock speeds

Jun 13, 2021
Hi there!
I have a system running Windows 10 Pro (OS Build 19042.985 / version 20H2), With an Intel i7 9700K, 16GB of ram, and an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super.
I have no idea what is happening, but when ever I look at task manager, i see my CPU stuck at 3.60GHz. No variation, nothing. I used to be idling at around 4 GHz, but one day it just stopped changing.
I have no idea what caused this, or how to fix it.
Any help would be apreciated!
Thanks
unknown.png

Solution
Hi there!
I have a system running Windows 10 Pro (OS Build 19042.985 / version 20H2), With an Intel i7 9700K, 16GB of ram, and an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super.
I have no idea what is happening, but when ever I look at task manager, i see my CPU stuck at 3.60GHz. No variation, nothing. I used to be idling at around 4 GHz, but one day it just stopped changing.
Thanks
unknown.png
For me with an i7-10750h, I noticed when changing the number of processors allowed in msconfig/boot/advanced options this depended on what my cpu clock speed would be, I can see from your...
it's usually Windows Power Plan causing these types of issues.

if it's set on High Performance,
try creating a custom plan with "Processor power management" parameters:
Minimum: 5%
System cooling: Active
Maximum: 100%

though if you've changed settings in the BIOS it can also affect C-States.
if Power Plan options don't fix the issue, reset BIOS to optimized defaults.

Jun 13, 2021
it's usually Windows Power Plan causing these types of issues.

if it's set on High Performance,
try creating a custom plan with "Processor power management" parameters:
Minimum: 5%
System cooling: Active
Maximum: 100%

though if you've changed settings in the BIOS it can also affect C-States.
if Power Plan options don't fix the issue, reset BIOS to optimized defaults.

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply,
I haven't got an option to change the "minimum" and "maximum" options you just listed,
see picture below I will try the bios reset later, supposed to be revising at the moment.
unknown.png

3.60 GHz is the default speed when Intel Turbo Boost is disabled.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9700k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

Is it possible that you disabled turbo boost in the BIOS?

When you are in the Windows High Performance power plan, open up a command window and copy and paste these two commands to set this power plan to its default settings. Copy and paste one command at a time.

Code:
powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_MIN SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMIN 100
powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_MIN SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 100

For the Windows Balanced power plan, copy and paste these commands.

Code:
powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMIN 5
powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 100

Go into the Windows Power Options and switch power plans back and forth between Balanced and High Performance and see what happens to the MHz.

Sep 7, 2021
Hi there!
Thanks
unknown.png
For me with an i7-10750h, I noticed when changing the number of processors allowed in msconfig/boot/advanced options this depended on what my cpu clock speed would be, I can see from your picture that you have 4 logical processors running in task manager try changing this number from 4 to 8 which should be the maximum for you cpu. This could have just been a coincidence for me but in my opinion it is worth a shot.

Reactions: Djmrh
Solution
Jun 13, 2021
For me with an i7-10750h, I noticed when changing the number of processors allowed in msconfig/boot/advanced options this depended on what my cpu clock speed would be, I can see from your picture that you have 4 logical processors running in task manager try changing this number from 4 to 8 which should be the maximum for you cpu. This could have just been a coincidence for me but in my opinion it is worth a shot.
Thanks man, you've sold my problem! I have also noticed only half my cores were showing up in tskmanager aswell, and now its fixed!
unknown.png

Reactions: LeviTech