[SOLVED] Cpu stuck on 0.77 mhz?

Sep 14, 2020
hello , i have a gtx 970 gpu with a skylake 6600k i5 cpu , very good cooling and 16gb ram and ssd , motherboard is msi gaming m7 170a , gets running well never had any issues playing games untill last few months i've been having some issues ,, after it became weird and i had 5 fps in overwatch (lowest graphics possible) when i usualy top at 300 , did some long hours of investigation , and found out my cpu , even at 100% usage , still sits at 0.74 / 0.77 ghz clock speed and it's bottle necking my gpu , i have the same issue on windows 8.1 and windows 10 .
i tried to change power plant options and deactivated the fast start on windows 8.1 i still have this issue , and it has made me hate my pc for the past 2 months , tried few solutions online but non has worked and i'm confused , is there a way to safely reset it's clock speed to default ? as far as i remember for the 4 years i owned this setup i never touched the clock speeds since it never felt needed

Last edited:

JustKun

Reputable
Jun 6, 2016
Try to reset the bios settings because it seems like doesn’t seem like a windows issue. If you don’t know to get into the bios, just hit delete or f2 a few times when the motherboard logo comes up after turning on your pc. Once you’re in the bios, you can either manually set the clock speeds to whatever you would like (maybe like 3.9 ghz at 1.25 volts) but if you’re not comfortable with overclocking, dig around and there should be an option to reset bios settings.

You say very good cooling but what are the temps..... FULL system specs incl. make and model of psu would be a great help.

Another issue could be malwayre and your system being clogged up with cookies, registry pathways and god knows what else if regular maintenance has not been done.

We need more detailed info if you want help.

Sep 14, 2020
Good cooling? What is it? The CPU cooler?

Overheating can cause that. CPU can't go higher without just melting so it's keeping itself at that clock speed.
it's a thermaltake liquid cooling radiator, forgot the reference, it's not the overheating my cpu is at 21 degrees / 72F only under load , i have found a solution , it was to turn off Intel Thermal Adaptive Monitor which was a solution suggested by msi

Sep 14, 2020
Hello and thank you for your time every one , i have found a solution , for Z170 A motherboards apparently it is a common issue and i found out that you try and switch off slow boot first , if it doesn't work you turn off Intel Thermal Adaptive Monitor through bios , this has made my clock go to 3.80 gh , tho it stays at max clock all the time , is that safe? is there any way around it ?

Sep 14, 2020
You say very good cooling but what are the temps..... FULL system specs incl. make and model of psu would be a great help.

Another issue could be malwayre and your system being clogged up with cookies, registry pathways and god knows what else if regular maintenance has not been done.

We need more detailed info if you want help.
i have fresh installed windows on a separate hard drive just to test this out , was not the issue it was Intel thermal adaptive monitor

OK but that would make me believe that you Mobo has an issue/defect. You realize that it is very likely you are melting your CPU as I write. Have you checked your temps with HWMonitor or even Coretemp to see where you are at.

I reckon it is the mobo or your cooler that have gone rogue on you.

I found this previous issue with the same board..... please read it and check your temps....

Try running ThrottleStop. Open the Limit Reasons window. When your CPU is stuck at 800 MHz does it show BD PROCHOT in red? If it does, try clearing the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. This is a very common throttling problem on many different MSI motherboards, old and new.

Post lots of ThrottleStop screenshots if you are still having problems.

miCf7kN.png

Reactions: kertoz
Sep 14, 2020
OK but that would make me believe that you Mobo has an issue/defect. You realize that it is very likely you are melting your CPU as I write. Have you checked your temps with HWMonitor or even Coretemp to see where you are at.

I reckon it is the mobo or your cooler that have gone rogue on you.

I found this previous issue with the same board..... please read it and check your temps....

i am using msi afterburner and it's showing low temperatures,the cpu cooling seems to be working fine , i have found that it's a common issue with Z170A series i have sent them a ticket waiting for a reply

BD PROCHOT has nothing to do with the temperature of the CPU. If this is lighting up red in ThrottleStop, it is an external sensor that has gone bad which is sending throttling signals to the CPU.

If this is the issue, you need a new motherboard to fix it.

The source of the problem on MSI boards is the Slow Mode Booting Switch. Page 45 of your manual shows that your motherboard has this switch.

Lj2ul5r.png

When this switch gets dirty over time, it starts to short out and causes the problem you are having. Find this switch on the motherboard and cycle it on and off 101 times. This can help knock the dirt out of the switch so it starts working correctly again.

Reactions: kertoz
Sep 14, 2020
BD PROCHOT has nothing to do with the temperature of the CPU. If this is lighting up red in ThrottleStop, it is an external sensor that has gone bad which is sending throttling signals to the CPU.

If this is the issue, you need a new motherboard to fix it.

The source of the problem on MSI boards is the Slow Mode Booting Switch. Page 45 of your manual shows that your motherboard has this switch.

Lj2ul5r.png

When this switch gets dirty over time, it starts to short out and causes the problem you are having. Find this switch on the motherboard and cycle it on and off 101 times. This can help knock the dirt out of the switch so it starts working correctly again.
yes this is already off , i had to turn off thermal adaptive monitor

JustKun

Reputable
Jun 6, 2016
Hello and thank you for your time every one , i have found a solution , for Z170 A motherboards apparently it is a common issue and i found out that you try and switch off slow boot first , if it doesn't work you turn off Intel Thermal Adaptive Monitor through bios , this has made my clock go to 3.80 gh , tho it stays at max clock all the time , is that safe? is there any way around it ?
Don’t worry about it staying at max clock speeds. You have nothing to worry about. It just means that you either a) have high performance power plan enabled or b) have something running in the background.

"it's a thermaltake liquid cooling radiator, forgot the reference, it's not the overheating my cpu is at 21 degrees / 72F only under load"

Totally impossible. Your CPU is not at 21C under load. That's not idling temperature either unless it's 5C in your room right now and you're freezing.