[SOLVED] CPU Stuck throttling at 0.78 Ghz in PUBG

kyleoswald2

Honorable
Dec 26, 2018
Hello I am in need of some help I am completely mind boggled.

I have done lots of research in similar fields of 'CPU stuck at 0.78 Ghz' which mostly yields to window power settings. So I will first go through everything i have tried and when this occurs. This begun today only when launching PUBG. I cannot reproduce this on any other game however i have played pubg many times over the last week with no similar issues.

First of all my CPU is overclocked using Intels Performance Maximizer where it boosted the CPU to 4.8 Ghz and 200 Mhz on the processer clock frequency.

I first reset my CMOS and undone the overclocking with no luck, when looking at CPU-Z it is stuck at around 803 Mhz. My power settings is at Ultimate Performance with the Processor power mangement settings for min & max at 100%. I also updated my BIOS to the latest version.

What I do not understand is I can only reproduce this with PUBG, I can run Star Citizen perfectly fine. I also stressed the CPU with prime95 for 20 minutes. I know this is not temperature related as I have monitored speccy for temperatures with my CPU peaking at around 65C which I would expect since it is water cooled with a H115I PRO XT.

PUBG Has also been reinstalled and I dont believe it is the issue.

Specs:
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Motherboard - MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK
CPU - Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (MSI)
RAM - 2x8gb 3200 Mhz Corsair

Solution
This is a common problem on MSI motherboards. Usually this problem is being caused by the turbo power limits being set to an absurd low value. This forces constant throttling.

It makes no sense that this only happens in some games. You are definitely not the only one with this recent issue.

Make sure you are not running any MSI control software. Uninstall this from Windows.

Go into the BIOS and manually set the long and short turbo power limits. MSI maximum default is 4096. The maximum possible value that the CPU can understand is 4095.875. If some software sees this value and rounds it off to 4096, what actually happens is this value wraps around and starts counting again from 0. Setting the turbo power limits to 0 will cause the...
This is a common problem on MSI motherboards. Usually this problem is being caused by the turbo power limits being set to an absurd low value. This forces constant throttling.

It makes no sense that this only happens in some games. You are definitely not the only one with this recent issue.

Make sure you are not running any MSI control software. Uninstall this from Windows.

Go into the BIOS and manually set the long and short turbo power limits. MSI maximum default is 4096. The maximum possible value that the CPU can understand is 4095.875. If some software sees this value and rounds it off to 4096, what actually happens is this value wraps around and starts counting again from 0. Setting the turbo power limits to 0 will cause the throttling problem that you are seeing. Games should not be messing with this setting but who knows what software is to blame.

In the BIOS, manually set both turbo power limits to 1023. This is more than enough to achieve maximum performance.

If you are still having problems, download ThrottleStop and open the Limit Reasons window. It will show you the reason for throttling. PL1 and PL2 refer to the turbo power limits. If you see BD PROCHOT, clear that box in ThrottleStop. That was the previous MSI throttling method. Incorrectly set turbo power limits is MSI's more recent issue.

Solution