[SOLVED] CPU stuck to the heatsink when replacing motherboard

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Greetings..

So I ran into a problem here. First, specs are in order :

Ryzen 3 1200 (with stock cooler)
ASRock A320M motherboard

I was replacing my motherboard (I'm upgrading to an X370). It all happened so quickly. Was removing the CPU from the old motherboard. I followed the instructions (including 'warming up' the PC first to soften the paste), unscrewed the heatsink (top left first, and then bottom right, so on), but when I tried to remove the heatsink, it was stuck. I made sure all the screws were off the motherboard (I even removed the metal plate thingy behind the motherboard just to make sure). I tried pulling it, it didn't even budge. So I pulled it harder (very unwise), and the heatsink finally came off along WITH the processor stuck under the heatsink. Yeah, my heart dropped right there. The processor got yanked off the socket (even the retention arm was still at lock position). I checked the pins, thankfully, no bent pins (might be wrong though, but they looked normal). I tried pulling the processor off the heatsink, no luck. It's like the processor got welded with the heatsink. Heck, it's like the processor is part of the heatsink.

What should I do now? Is the processor damaged because it was removed while the retention arm was still on? How do I separate the processor with the heatsink? How bad is the situation??

Solution
Ok, so I've tried your suggestion, I used the end of a plastic spoon to pry it apart, and.. still no luck. Well, I didn't dare forcing it too much, I don't know, it seem too much force like I might break something. Any other ideas?
Pry harder. The CPU will be fine. As long as you don't bent/break any pins, you'll be okay.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Use something to pry apart (just at one corner of the CPU will do). It will take less effort than you think. This is a fairly common occurence, by the way. Should be fine.

Ok, so I've tried your suggestion, I used the end of a plastic spoon to pry it apart, and.. still no luck. Well, I didn't dare forcing it too much, I don't know, it seem too much force like I might break something. Any other ideas?

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Pry harder. The CPU will be fine. As long as you don't bent/break any pins, you'll be okay.

Good news! The CPU finally came off. I read your post, said "to hell with it, if it breaks, so be it". I wiggled the spoon in, and pushed it like there's no tomorrow and the CPU flew literally across the room, luckily landed on my laundry (so yeah, soft landing). Checked the CPU and no bent pins (or so I hope). The CPU is a total mess, with the dried up paste made it look like it was dug out from an archaeological site or something. Still, problem solved!

Many thanks, you saved my life..

TRENDING THREADS