Cpu suddenly overheating

sobe121

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
my computer has been shutting off recently, and i believe its because of a heat issue.

i have an amd fx-8150 cpu with a h100i cooler and windows 10, and its been running fine for about a year with windows 7.

the cpu temp sits between 55-60C on the desktop with about 15% cpu load, and when playing a game it shoots up to about 80C and freezes/ turns off at 85C.

i usually have the fans set to quiet mode which is about 1250rpm, but there is no temperature difference between quiet mode and max rpm(2550).

only thing i have tried so far was cleaning out the dust.

i would type more but my computer has already shut off twice while typing this.

adamjosiah

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
While I don't suggest letting your cpu overheat, your pc shutting down is a protection circuit and shouldn't damage anything. Have you tried lightly grasping the hose on the cooler and see if you can feel it running at all? That would certainly happen if the fluid stopped flowing for some reason

adamjosiah

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
In that case the next thing I would try is cleaning and re-applying thermal paste. Do you know what temperature your cpu normally operates under load? Also run a cpu load test to make sure your gpu has nothing to do with it

sobe121

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
I believe my cpu will normally reach about 60C when playing games. Maybe a bit less.

I will probably go buy some paste tomorrow and see if that does the trick.

In the year or 2 that i have had this cooler. I never changed the thermal paste, because most of the people i talk to say its not necessary to have to change it.

adamjosiah

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Yea its not really necessary within the first few years at least. However if the paste was poor quality or there was too little or too much applied to begin with, it could be the issue. Plus you can reseat your cooler at the same time

sobe121

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
Well just put on some new thermal paste. Still heated up and shut off in less than 10 minutes from turning it on

Someone suggested it could be a bios issue? Got any ideas about that?

sobe121

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
found out the issue. turns out the pump on the h100i stopped working. didnt think that was the cause because i would think a dying pump would make some kind of strange noises.

oh well, thanks for the help anyway. :)