CPU suddenly overheating

JKon

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
One day, suddenly, the temperature of my cpu started to get into 60-70 Celsius. The standard temp was 30-40 on idle.

Normaly I would think that is a cooler issue but there is no aparent reason for this change of average temperature.

- the heatsink is warm but nothing too hot(I can touch it with my fingers)

- the radiator fan blows cold air out of the computer

- I just upgraded my windows and Nvidia Drivers recently

- I didn't changed the thermal paste since I assembled the PC(last year)

- Specs:

Intel Core i7 4790k 4.0Ghz
MasterCooler CoolerMaster Seidon 120V
NVIDIA GeForce 960
MotherBoard Asus MSI Z97-G43
PSU Corsair 600W

Solution
How hot is the block that is on top of CPU?

If this is a sudden issue and you haven't changed anything like BIOS fan settings or whatnot, your water pump may have failed.

Ethanh100

Honorable
Could be a problem with the program. Try another program. Unless you took off the cooler or did anything, there is no reason for the cores to suddenly get physically hotter due to thermal constraints, so there are a few possibilities. The thermal sensor could have broke, but that's pretty unlikely as well. It could be that something in the background is happening that you arent aware of, stressing your cpu. Open task manager and look at the cpu load and see if that correlates to high temps.

JKon

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016

The CPU usage looks fine on Windows Task Manager(1% usage), but the temperature continue high as well.

I tried to measure the temperature using the motherboard Bios interface and it shows an absurd temperature(80ºC). On Windows I use Speccy, and it shows a 60-70ºC but reaching 100ºC if I open more programs.

If the sensor is broken, what can be done about it?

Ethanh100

Honorable
Try this, feel your heatsink during idle, and see how hot it feels. Then stress test your cpu, see how high the temps get, and feel how hot the heatsink feels. If it doesnt feel very hot during idle, likely something is wrong with the temp sensor, which nothing can be done about expecpt replace the cu.

JKon

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016

You mean replace the CPU or the MotherBoard?

JKon

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016

Good idea, I'll make some tests

JKon

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
I replaced my Water Cooler Seidon with the stock cooler. The temperature has stabilized at 38-45 C, which is not that good but I think it's far from danger.
I can conclude that the water cooler really was the problem.

Ethanh100

Honorable
Yeah just keep that stock cooler on there, back off any overclocks if you have any, and just get a new cooler. You could just go with a hyper 212 or Cryorig H7, or if you want to still overclock get a H100i GTX or something.