Question CPU suddenly started overheating

Feb 2, 2023
Hi all - I know this is a widely queried problem but I haven't been able to find a solution.

I've had my PC for about 6 months and only on the past week has this been a problem. All is fairly ok at idle - about 42c. I load into a game and the CPU temps soar. It works fine, GPU is fully utilised initially, but obviously high temps eventually cause major issues. I first noticed this as suddenly everything started stuttering and CPU utilisation dropped while CPU utilisation spiked. I've also had a couple of shutdowns and error messages about CPU overheat on restart.

I've restored default setting across the board - though I never overclocked anyway.

I've cleaned and dusted throughout and check all fans are spinning freely.

I've cleaned and re done the thermal paste.

CPU cooler isn't loose or anything (liquid cooled) and the fans/pumps are registering RPMs on CPUID. Also one of the pipes is hot and the other cold - so seems to be functioning.

I questioned whether maybe the cooling was insufficient but in 6 months of daily gamin at ultra settings, this is the first sign of an issue. Nothing has been changed so I can't imagine this been plausible.

CPU is in the 70s on startup, settles into the low 40s but immediately hits 100 when I load into a game.

Ambient and internal temperatures also low and no other component gets hot - GPU still stays mid 60s under load.

It's an Intel core i7 processor, rtx 3080 GPU, 16gb ram. It's a spacious case with 3 fans in the front, one in the back and 2 on top for the liquid cooler.

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information from your end. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
please include the age of the PSU if it's been in service for a while.

Reactions: Tim Taine
Feb 2, 2023
Intel core i7 11700
MSI Z590-A PRO
Corsair 16gb 3200MHz (2x8gb)
1tb western digital SSD
2tb Seagate HDD
RTX 3080 10gb GPU
Corsair RM850 power supply
Windows 10
Electriq 4k UHD 144MHz monitor

Not 100% on the case, it just says FiercePC on the front.

This was all bought prebullt about 6 months ago and haven't had any problems until now.

Feb 2, 2023
I did wonder if topping up or replacing coolant was a thing (this is my first gaming PC so please excuse any naivity). So some kind of blockage in there does make sense with what I've experienced.

Is there anything I can do to improve/repair/confirm this? I'm waiting for confirmation but I think I've just missed out my warranty.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
FiercePC is likely using another brand's components, but with their own accents on them.

I did wonder if topping up or replacing coolant was a thing (this is my first gaming PC so please excuse any naivity). So some kind of blockage in there does make sense with what I've experienced.

Is there anything I can do to improve/repair/confirm this? I'm waiting for confirmation but I think I've just missed out my warranty.
Few AIO/CLCs out there allow for conventional flushing/refilling(there's a fill port somewhere), but you kinda need to do it in advance. If it's already clogging up, it's too late.

If you've missed the warranty, you'll have to buy a new cooler.

Reactions: Tim Taine
Feb 2, 2023
Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies here.

I replaced the MSI AIO cooler with a basic air cooler (Coolermaster hyper H411R) and problem solved. Idling low 30s, even dropped sub 30 at one point - max it's hit so far is 66.

I don't know if I'm supposed to, but I can't hear any liquid in the old cooler I've removed.

I'm probably not going to bother replacing the liquid cooler now - seems to make sense to keep things simple! It's also significantly quieter now.

Last edited: