Question CPU supports "DDR4-3200" but memory native speed is 2133

dor_13

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
The Intel CPU supports the following memory:

Memory Types
DDR4-3200
But the DDR4 memory module (DIMM) has a native speed of 2133 (it is published as 3200, but probably I should enable XMP for that to work).

I still want to be able to work with the 2133 speed - without XMP.
Would the 2133 speed work with that Intel CPU ?

kanewolf

Titan

But the DDR4 memory module (DIMM) has a native speed of 2133 (it is published as 3200, but probably I should enable XMP for that to work).

Yes, it should default to 2133 or 2400. That depends on the specific CPU.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021

read your motherboard manual carefully. Look for the parts that talks about the CPU and ram. The ram could be limited at a certain speed depending on the cpu you have installed.

just an example, my motherboard allows faster ram speeds if an 11th gen cpu is installed. Speed is limited to a certain amount if a 10th gen cpu is used.

Last edited:
Motherboards will boot to bios using ram at some default speed like 2133.
Regardless of the upper speed capability of the ram.
Then, once in bios, you the user can set what ram specs you want and what the hardware allows.
3200 speed is technically overclocked DDR4 ram.
To get that speed, your cpu and motherboard chipset must allow ram overclocking.
Normally, this is done by selecting a 3200 XMP profile in the bios.
You are not required to do so.
Ram speed means little with intel processors.
The exception is when using integrated graphics.
Then, faster ram will help graphics performance.

dor_13

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Yes, it should default to 2133 or 2400. That depends on the specific CPU.
This one:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-12m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz/specifications.html

it doesn't say anything about the default speed.
It seems like it only supports 3200 speed.

read your motherboard manual carefully. Look for the parts that talks about the CPU and ram. The ram could be limited at a certain speed depending on the cpu you have installed.

just an example, my motherboard allows faster ram speeds if an 11th gen cpu is installed. Speed is limited to a certain amount if a 10th gen cpu is used.

The MB supports up to 3200, so all good regarding the MB.
It's the CPU which I'm confused with.
The following CPU states that it only supports 3200 :
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-12m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz/specifications.html
Seems strange isn't it?
I'd expect it to support also lower frequencies.

Why?

You loose some additional performance.
I attribute the lower frequency to a higher reliability.
Sometimes we'd prefer to compromise performance for reliability :)

Motherboards will boot to bios using ram at some default speed like 2133.
Regardless of the upper speed capability of the ram.
Then, once in bios, you the user can set what ram specs you want and what the hardware allows.
3200 speed is technically overclocked DDR4 ram.
To get that speed, your cpu and motherboard chipset must allow ram overclocking.
Normally, this is done by selecting a 3200 XMP profile in the bios.
You are not required to do so.
Ram speed means little with intel processors.
The exception is when using integrated graphics.
Then, faster ram will help graphics performance.
If I'm not required to do so, then why the CPU doesn't indicate that it support lower speeds as well?
Please see for yourself in its specs:

maybe I'm missing something.

With what particular Intel CPU? Be specific!

All RAM and all motherboards start at a native JEDEC profile with lazy speed and timings so it boots in any system that supports DDR4. The highest available XMP speed depends on the CPU and motherboard.
This one:

I understand your comment, though I'd expect also the specs of the CPU to specifically write that it supports lower speeds like 2133 or 2400 as well as 3200.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Native ram speed/memory controller speed of that cpu is 2666MHz. The actual speed it'll default to depends on the motherboard and bios, some only have 2x jadec tables, like 2133MHz and 2400MHz, so the cpu/ram will default to the greater of those. Some bios include far more tables, like 2666MHz, 2933MHz, 3000MHz and 3200MHz but the last 3 will be listed as (OC) meaning they require XMP values as 2666MHz is the highest native speed of the memory controller.

dor_13

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
All DDR4 speeds up to 3200 MT/s are supported guaranteed. Speeds higher than 3200 are an overclock and not guaranteed.

What's your motherboard?
Then, the CPU specs are confusing.
This one:

Native ram speed/memory controller speed of that cpu is 2666MHz. The actual speed it'll default to depends on the motherboard and bios, some only have 2x jadec tables, like 2133MHz and 2400MHz, so the cpu/ram will default to the greater of those. Some bios include far more tables, like 2666MHz, 2933MHz, 3000MHz and 3200MHz but the last 3 will be listed as (OC) meaning they require XMP values as 2666MHz is the highest native speed of the memory controller.
How do you know that the native ram speed of that cpu is 2666 ?
That number doesn't appear anywhere on the page of the cpu specs.

Reactions: LeviTech

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021

11 gen native ram speed, memory controller speed is 3200Mhz, 10 gen were 2666Mhz. If you get a 3200MHz DDR4 speed ram that get this speeds without XMP, even with XMP off, the mobo will set it automatically to 3200MHz.