[SOLVED] CPU Swap. Computer no longer POSTs

Synovyx

Commendable
Feb 17, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I'm at my wits end here and thought I could come onto this forum for some help. I made a server on Windows 10 with a Core i3 4130T. I noticed that the workload is becoming too much for the CPU, so I swapped it out with a Core i7 4790k. With every piece of hardware working BEFORE the upgrade, the computer now no longer POSTs. Putting the old CPU back works again.

Here's the specs:
CPU: Intel Core i3 4130T (Old), Intel Core i7 4790k (New)
GPU: MSI radeon r7 370 2gb
MOBO: ASUS h81m-e
RAM: 1x Corsair Value Select 4 GB 1333 MHz
PSU: Seasonic SS-400FL2 Platinum Fanless 400W

Troubleshooting
  • I have updated the BIOs to its latest version by putting my old CPU back in, downloading the latest version and installing it onto my mobo.
  • The latest BIOs version supports my new CPU.
  • I have checked the compatibility of the mobo and CPU. They are compatible.
  • I've reseated the RAM and also used the second slot.
  • I can confirm my core i7 works on another computer.

Additional Information:
  • I do not suspect 400W Power supply to be the issue because I'm not running the server very hard, but it could be a possibility. If it was because of the PSU, shouldn't it still POST?

Solution
So it does not even begin the POST process, although at least the fans run. I'd suggest the new CPU has failed, but you already told us that works in another machine. My only other idea is that MAYBE your PSU is not enough for the new version of your system.
Hi Everyone,

I'm at my wits end here and thought I could come onto this forum for some help. I made a server on Windows 10 with a Core i3 4130T. I noticed that the workload is becoming too much for the CPU, so I swapped it out with a Core i7 4790k. With every piece of hardware working BEFORE the upgrade, the computer now no longer POSTs. Putting the old CPU back works again.

Here's the specs:
CPU: Intel Core i3 4130T (Old), Intel Core i7 4790k (New)
GPU: MSI radeon r7 370 2gb
MOBO: ASUS h81m-e
RAM: 1x Corsair Value Select 4 GB 1333 MHz
PSU: Seasonic SS-400FL2 Platinum Fanless 400W

Troubleshooting
  • I have updated the BIOs to its latest version by putting my old CPU back in, downloading the latest version and installing it onto my mobo.
  • The latest BIOs version supports my new CPU.
  • I have checked the compatibility of the mobo and CPU. They are compatible.
  • I've reseated the RAM and also used the second slot.
  • I can confirm my core i7 works on another computer.
Additional Information:
  • I do not suspect 400W Power supply to be the issue because I'm not running the server very hard, but it could be a possibility. If it was because of the PSU, shouldn't it still POST?
Have you done a clear CMOS? I don't think the process of updating the BIOS actually clears the CMOS settings as well.

Synovyx

Commendable
Feb 17, 2021
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I've inserted the display into both the iGPU and GPU, and also cleared the CMOS by moving the jumper over one pin on CLRTC , removing the battery, then reassigning the jumper back to its original position and putting the battery back in.

Edit: rgd, I'm currently using the stock cooler that came with the core i7.

Last edited:

Synovyx

Commendable
Feb 17, 2021
Hi rickypicky5,

I have updated the BIOs to its latest version by putting my old CPU back in, downloading the latest version and installing it onto my mobo.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I can suggest four ideas - not at all sure any of them will help.

1. "Will not POST". Does that mean it starts but fails to complete POST. Or, it does complete POST, but fails to load the OS? Or, is it absolutely dead and does not even start to POST? Normally if the system starts up its fans and keeps them going then it has started POST. When POST completes, and before it tries to load the OS, the usual signal is a single beep. BUT, do you have a small PZO "speaker" attached to the Speaker pins of the front panel header so you can even hear any beeps?
  2. IF it begins POST, then you normally would be able to enter BIOS Setup. The most common key to use is the "Del" key. Immediately after pushing the front power button you hold that key down. I find it is not good enough to tap it - the system might not happen to be checking for that at the right moment. So I hold it down while POST completes and the opening screen of BIOS Setup appears. Can you get that far?
  3. IF you can get into BIOS Setup, go the the Exit screen. One of the options should be to Load Default Settings or Load Optimized Settings. Do that to ensure a complete and stable set of initial BIOS settings. Then SAVE and Exit, and go back into BIOS Setup again. This time go though your configuration and change any item you know needs adjustment, like which device to boot from, and which video output (and where) to use, etc. Then do the Save and Exit again.
  4. Since the CPU has integrated graphics, MAYBE the sytem can complete POST but cannot boot the OS becasue it is missing the device driver for the new graphics system on the new CPU chip. IF you think that may be involved, try a Safe Boot that loads only minimal drivers, and see if you can get into Device Manager and look for problem devices.

Synovyx

Commendable
Feb 17, 2021
Hi Paperdoc,
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not being clear. My computer fails to complete post. Fans are on, LEDs are on, but I don't receive the screen similar to this.
I do not have at PZO speaker attached, unfortunately. I cannot hear any beeps.
As for the 4th idea, I have used both the integrated graphics as well as a dedicated GPU. I know that the GPU functions properly because prior to this issue, the GPU would work.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So it does not even begin the POST process, although at least the fans run. I'd suggest the new CPU has failed, but you already told us that works in another machine. My only other idea is that MAYBE your PSU is not enough for the new version of your system.

Solution
Hi rickypicky5,

I have updated the BIOs to its latest version by putting my old CPU back in, downloading the latest version and installing it onto my mobo.
Yes, I noticed you had installed the latest BIOS from your original post. My suggestion was to maybe try a BIOS other than the latest BIOS.

"Maybe try a different BIOS? According to the ASUS website, the i7-4790k works with BIOS version 2001 and upwards. "