[SOLVED] CPU swap question

Auchhior

Commendable
Oct 12, 2020
Hello, I have a i7-9700K in a Asus Prime Z390-P.

I'm going to be using this PC for a long time(5 or more years) and was considering upgrading to a i9-9900K when/if I can get it for a good price. I googled it and found some threads about how that wasn't a great idea? I wanted to double check if that's still the consensus. The PC was built on a budget, but I've been considering making small swaps, such as getting better fans(Rosewill ROCF-13001s>Artic or Noctuas?) or maybe a better CPU Cooler (CM 212 Evo>?) since I'm planning to use this long term.

parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Auchhior/saved/R4n6D3

Lutfij

Titan
Yeah the i9's on that platform were a bad idea to begin with due to the lack of VRM capability on that board and every other board that were below 300 or so USD. FYI, the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 is not what you should be looking at as a cooler for that i9. Assuming that you can source a board that doesn't break your wallet for yesteryears tech, you will need to look at a 360mm AIO solution even custom watercooling, not air.

Reactions: Auchhior

Auchhior

Commendable
Oct 12, 2020
Yeah the i9's on that platform were a bad idea to begin with due to the lack of VRM capability on that board and every other board that were below 300 or so USD. FYI, the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 is not what you should be looking at as a cooler for that i9. Assuming that you can source a board that doesn't break your wallet for yesteryears tech, you will need to look at a 360mm AIO solution even custom watercooling, not air.

Yikes. So I'd need like a Z590 tier board to run the 9900K efficiently? I've never handled an AIO and skipped it because I was nervous about watercooling.

That board does look a little anemic around the VRM... it wouldn't be an upgrade if the VRM throttles and drops clock speed with it.

You'll need a new cooler for sure.
Motherboard replacement? A solid MAYBE. Others may know for sure.

Yeah, that was what I read elsewhere. How would I check that?

What do you use your pc for?
Is the 9700K not enough for you or do you just want to upgrade to make your pc more future proof?

The 9700K is more than enough for me right now. I'm really happy with it since I got it at a decent price @ 200 USD. The potential upgrade was mostly for future proofing, since I was worried about it not being good enough 4/5 years in the future, since even the consoles have 8c/16ts now.

I'm a student, so I mostly use it for schoolwork, emails/web browsing, couple dozen chrome tabs, light video editing and gaming of course.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that was what I read elsewhere. How would I check that?
Finding a review of this board with a 9900K installed, or taking the dive yourself and finding out the hard way.

OH! Well here you go - literally in this video. I'd forgotten about this one!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZcqw-K1drY

In short:
-Intel stock settings and balanced power plan: Yes.
-Power limits removed and/or overclocking: No.

Reactions: Auchhior
Solution