Mar 3, 2020
I know there is probably somewherethis question but couldn't find exactly the right answer.
I have an SSD and HDD that are partitioned for WIN10 and Linux,both systems installed ,dual boot and everything.
Is it necessary to update anything like bios,or reinstall any OS either Windows or Linux when swapping CPU?
By the way the CPUs are same gen,same architecture(Haswell),same socket etc. The swap is i3 4130 to i5 4460.
Thanks.

Solution
There should be no issues whatsoever. Just make sure that you don't reuse your cooler from i3, since it is not quite sufficient for i5's higher TDP.

Lutfij

Titan
More importantly, what is the make and model of your motherboard? You're on the latest BIOS update for the board? The latter CPU will have a higher TDP so my other question would be if you have a capable cooler and the airflow in your chassis is optimal...?

Better yet, just list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Reactions: Mihailo_SMC
Mar 3, 2020
CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 @ 3.40GHz
Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33
Ram: 8GB 2333 MHz
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
PSU: 600W
Chassis: Not branded as far as I know but it has good airflow

The BIOS is updated to the latest version 4.9

Is the current core i3 cooler the stock one?, If soo I would probably get a better cooler for the i5, as others said already. What cooler you may ask?, it will depend on the chasis (case) you have. Most cheap decent tower cooler (DC Gammaxx 400, Arctic Freezer 34 esport, CM Hyper 212 EVO) will be enough to cool acore i5, the thing is, Will they fit inside your case?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020
It is the stock one, I will swap the cooler as well, it should fit, the case is an older one but it's standard ATX size so it shouldn't be a problem there, thanks.