CPU switch seamless?

What happens if I switch my Athlon xp 1700 to a 2000. When I power up
does it just go (marginally) faster, or are there some adjustments to be
made, or do I have to reload my os, etc etc?
Pete

[I know it's a dumb idea, but I'm building a buddy a new system, and
thinking of selling him my 1700 for cheap, and keeping the 2000, which
he can scarcely afford.]

Simple answer is..........
If your board supports the CPU, then everything will auto adjust.
You don't tell us which board but nearly all these days auto detect the CPU
anyway.
Nothing else will need any adjusting or reloading.
BruceM

BruceM wrote:
> Simple answer is..........
> If your board supports the CPU, then everything will auto adjust.
> You don't tell us which board but nearly all these days auto detect the CPU
> anyway.
> Nothing else will need any adjusting or reloading.
> BruceM

unless the new cpu has a different fsb (that the board supports) and
requires a jumper to be changed to get the new cpu to run at the proper
speed. But I dont think that's the case here.