Question CPU temp consistently 90+ C while gaming

Oct 9, 2022
I recently purchased an MSI Crosshair 15 R6E B12UGZ. I have had no issues with performance for regular work tasks however when gaming the CPU temperature gets up to 90+ C consistently. I have tried to use the built-in MSI center (not dragon center) and different "user scenario" modes to mitigate this issue, but there is not a good setting for balancing performance and CPU temp (ideally I'd like it to stay at or under 85 C). The best MSI center can do is a bad performance mode that keeps the CPU at around 70C or a good performance at around 90+ C. Was wondering if anyone had a fix/possible solutions to this issue.

Tried so far:
I have tried managing the GPU settings to help the load in Nvidia Control Panel but it has not made any significant difference. I have also tried uninstalling msi center and trying to manage everything with afterburner but that makes it such that certain cpu cores overheat even when not gaming (I assume it uses the cores unevenly or something - I am not entirely sure how the specifics work).

Device Specifications:
Laptop 3070
12th gen i7-12700H 2.7 GHz
32 Gb RAM

I recently purchased an MSI Crosshair 15 R6E B12UGZ. I have had no issues with performance for regular work tasks however when gaming the CPU temperature gets up to 90+ C consistently. I have tried to use the built-in MSI center (not dragon center) and different "user scenario" modes to mitigate this issue, but there is not a good setting for balancing performance and CPU temp (ideally I'd like it to stay at or under 85 C). The best MSI center can do is a bad performance mode that keeps the CPU at around 70C or a good performance at around 90+ C. Was wondering if anyone had a fix/possible solutions to this issue.

Tried so far:
I have tried managing the GPU settings to help the load in Nvidia Control Panel but it has not made any significant difference. I have also tried uninstalling msi center and trying to manage everything with afterburner but that makes it such that certain cpu cores overheat even when not gaming (I assume it uses the cores unevenly or something - I am not entirely sure how the specifics work).

Device Specifications:
Laptop 3070
12th gen i7-12700H 2.7 GHz
32 Gb RAM
Try to prop the laptop up and get cool air blowing under it. Gaming laptops are gonna run hot

Reactions: limesx

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
ideally I'd like it to stay at or under 85 C
Doesn't really matter what 'you'd like', laptops run high temps because of limited cooling ability and airflow. It's just how they are and have always been. 90°C is very normal for a laptop under high loads with a high rank dgpu like the 3070.

The cpu/dgpu decides its boost limits, and 90°C is within that limit, so they'll always push performance as high as they can. The only way to lower the temps is to limit the boost, which lowers performance. If you can live with lowered performance for a temp you decide is more friendly to your ideals, use Throttlestop (from techpowerup.com) to clamp the boost.

Reactions: bmockeg and limesx