[SOLVED] CPU temp exceeds 70c

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
Alright..i've been having some problems with fps drops which i created a topic about it here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-my-intel-core-i7-3770k-capping-my-gtx-1660.3618157/ and i though that my cpu was the one who needed to be upgraded and was limiting the GPU performance..so some people told me that you bay be suffering CPU heat throttling so when i downloaded msi after burner..it gave me some inaccturate results..as it was too high and i didn't even feel the case nor the air being hot..but while i was playing yesterday a heavy game (Rust)..i noticed that the air coming outta the case was so hot..so i turned off the game..restarted the PC and went into the BIOS settings and checked the temps for the CPU and as you can see in the picture..it was around 72-74 which is so much for my processor as it should average 50-65.so i tried to check the thermal paste on the CPU and i am not that experienced in the hardware stuff but i think it needs to be replaced??last year..i was studying so i didn't even open the PC for that whole year..also i never changed the thermal paste since i got the pc (3-4 years ago)so i do believe that this is the one causing the problem?)also can someone suggest me a good thermal paste?as i think it is kinda hard to apply it myself and i am afraid that i would screw it up..so i think i would take it to a pro..i got 2 fans in front that takes air in and 1behind takes the air out with liqiud cooling(i think)on connected to the CPU fan.
PC specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K

GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1660 6GB OC

Motherboard: Intel DZ77RE-75K

Ram: kingston 16GB

Avg GPU temp. : 63c

CPU temp:
h3DNivj.jpg

CPU thermal paste:
6UiJA1L.jpg

qgxUucb.jpg

KvjYiNt.jpg

Solution
Dont overthink it. Look up on youtube on how to apply thermal paste, they explain it pretty clearly. But having some experience myself, here's what i did. First off, dont stand on carpeted floor due to static charge buildup. Unplug your psu and make sure everything is off. I did not use an anti static strap and i didnt destroy my pc as well. Take off the cooler, get some ArcticClean kit and use it to clean the old paste. The kit itself comes with 2 small bottles. One with white cap and one with blue cap. There are youtube tutorials on how to use them. But i'll explain as well. Use the white cap solution and put a few drops on the cpu and cooler block. Wait about 5 minutes, take a paper towel and wipe away the old paste. For small areas...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
About 1 year - perhaps 2, depending on the brand of the paste - too long to be sitting on the same thermal paste. Get some alcohol, a disposable cloth, and scrub that off.
Grab some Arctic MX-4 thermal paste - you don't need a pro - apply a little in the middle, and the cooler's mounting pressure will do the rest.
Dust out the radiator and fan(s) while you're at it.

Since you went that long on paste, I'd also suggest checking to make sure the AIO still works.
While it is running, feel the cpu block, tubing, and radiator. If the heat is focused in the cpu block, then the AIO needs replacing too.

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
About 1 year - perhaps 2, depending on the brand of the paste - too long to be sitting on the same thermal paste. Get some alcohol, a disposable cloth, and scrub that off.
Grab some Arctic MX-4 thermal paste - you don't need a pro - apply a little in the middle, and the cooler's mounting pressure will do the rest.
Dust out the radiator and fan(s) while you're at it.

Since you went that long on paste, I'd also suggest checking to make sure the AIO still works.
While it is running, feel the cpu block, tubing, and radiator. If the heat is focused in the cpu block, then the AIO needs replacing too.
are you sure that i wont screw it up?like are there any other cautions i should take before i do it?i am just too afraid that if i fxxxxx my processor i wont be able to afford new one..also sorry i can't understand how can i check it..what do you mean with checking the heat is focused in the cpu block?..and i should check it after applying the thermal paste right?

<MODERATOR EDIT>
Profanity is Strictly Forbidden and is a Banning Offense!
Tom's is a Family Friendly Website
WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
are you sure that i wont screw it up?like are there any other cautions i should take before i do it?i am just too afraid that if i fxxxxx my processor i wont be able to afford new on
Turn the PC off, unplug the psu, discharge yourself before you work inside the PC... not sure what other precautions you're referring to.
You had no problem taking the AIO off - again, not sure what you're getting at.

also sorry i can't understand how can i check it..what do you mean with checking the heat is focused in the cpu block?..and i should check it after applying the thermal paste right?
The pumps in AIO are finite, and if you've been running that as long as the original paste has been sitting under there, you should make sure it too, is operating normally.
If the heat is focused in the cpu block, it means the pump is either no longer running, or there is blockage. Normal operation, the heat should be spread out through the entire unit.
In the case of broken pump or blockage, you would be looking to replace the entire AIO - keep the fans if they still work.

Reactions: ScreamX

poorbugger

Distinguished
Dont overthink it. Look up on youtube on how to apply thermal paste, they explain it pretty clearly. But having some experience myself, here's what i did. First off, dont stand on carpeted floor due to static charge buildup. Unplug your psu and make sure everything is off. I did not use an anti static strap and i didnt destroy my pc as well. Take off the cooler, get some ArcticClean kit and use it to clean the old paste. The kit itself comes with 2 small bottles. One with white cap and one with blue cap. There are youtube tutorials on how to use them. But i'll explain as well. Use the white cap solution and put a few drops on the cpu and cooler block. Wait about 5 minutes, take a paper towel and wipe away the old paste. For small areas, you can use a cotton bud. Repeat if necessary to clean away all old paste. Then use the solution with blue cap and drop a few on the newly clean cooler block (not the cpu) and just wipe it with paper towel. It's like a coating for the cooler block. Now, take your thermal paste ( i use arctic silver 5) and i also used thermal grizzly kryonaut. For you cpu, the silver 5 will do. Apply the paste using a cross sign. You can also apply like using a pea drop method but from a video i watched, it doesnt cover the cpu entirely. Cross sign for the safest. Now apply your cpu ccooler. Once you placed down the cooler on the cpu, it is recommended to not lift it up again. If you messed up, clean the new paste and reapply. Screw in your cooler and your repasting is now done.

Solution

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
Turn the PC off, unplug the psu, discharge yourself before you work inside the PC... not sure what other precautions you're referring to.
You had no problem taking the AIO off - again, not sure what you're getting at.
i mean..is there anyway that i can screw or damage my cpu by doing it on my own??or all i will do is removing the old thermal paste by alchol and cloth..then adding some of the new thermal paste at the center and putting back the AIO fan?is it that simple and wont cause any problems??or i should get someone who is working with these hardware stuff..excuse my lack of knowledge with hardware things..sorry for that i am still beginner.

The pumps in AIO are finite, and if you've been running that as long as the original paste has been sitting under there, you should make sure it too, is operating normally.
If the heat is focused in the cpu block, it means the pump is either no longer running, or there is blockage. Normal operation, the heat should be spread out through the entire unit.
In the case of broken pump or blockage, you would be looking to replace the entire AIO - keep the fans if they still work.
i mean i can feel the heat in the radiator too?i think that is a good sign?..again really sorry as i said i am not that good with hardware stuff..also thank you so much for spending time replying and trying to help me <3 thanks sooo much

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
all i will do is removing the old thermal paste by alchol and cloth..then adding some of the new thermal paste at the center and putting back the AIO
That's all there is to it. Seeing the pics you posted, you already did half of that by yourself.
You don't need a pro for this.

i mean i can feel the heat in the radiator too?
It's still fine then.

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
Dont overthink it. Look up on youtube on how to apply thermal paste, they explain it pretty clearly. But having some experience myself, here's what i did. First off, dont stand on carpeted floor due to static charge buildup. Unplug your psu and make sure everything is off. I did not use an anti static strap and i didnt destroy my pc as well. Take off the cooler, get some ArcticClean kit and use it to clean the old paste. The kit itself comes with 2 small bottles. One with white cap and one with blue cap. There are youtube tutorials on how to use them. But i'll explain as well. Use the white cap solution and put a few drops on the cpu and cooler block. Wait about 5 minutes, take a paper towel and wipe away the old paste. For small areas, you can use a cotton bud. Repeat if necessary to clean away all old paste. Then use the solution with blue cap and drop a few on the newly clean cooler block (not the cpu) and just wipe it with paper towel. It's like a coating for the cooler block. Now, take your thermal paste ( i use arctic silver 5) and i also used thermal grizzly kryonaut. For you cpu, the silver 5 will do. Apply the paste using a cross sign. You can also apply like using a pea drop method but from a video i watched, it doesnt cover the cpu entirely. Cross sign for the safest. Now apply your cpu ccooler. Once you placed down the cooler on the cpu, it is recommended to not lift it up again. If you messed up, clean the new paste and reapply. Screw in your cooler and your repasting is now done.
i actually didn't see that reply lol..thankss so much for explaining <3 that would help me so much..thanks to all of you guys <3