Mar 28, 2016
Hi, first here are my specs

9900kf currently at stock MCE off
gigabyte z390 aorus pro
corsair vengeance lpx (I think it's called lpx) @3000mhz
noctua nh-d15 cooler
corsair rmx 850w gold 80+ PSU
Bios F10
MSI gtx 970 (my 1070 bit the dust so I’m waiting for new gpus to come back in stock, please don’t judge me XD)
Corsair 750d airflow case with 2 Noctua 140mm fans at the front and 1 of the same in the back as exhaust.

I just have a few questions about cpu temps. Currently I idle at around 27-30c, my ambient temp is 25c or 77f most of the time. I use both hwmonitor and hwinfo to look at my temps etc.

When I open Firefox or chrome I can see my package temp (or sometimes a core or 2) go from 30-31c to 42-45 sometimes even 46 or 50c for a split second and then come back down. I know it is opening a program and my cpu is doing a ton of connections and talking to other components etc, but are those temps normal? Even loading a webpage can see my temps go from 32c to 40, to 42, to 45 then 46c for a few seconds then instantly come back down. Is that also normal?

Just now I searched something on google and I saw 33c package temp to 46-49 and back down instantly. This is making me sweat a little bit XD while watching a 1080p video on YouTube. I can see my package temp go from 33 to 42 then 46 and back down also... oy vey

I also see my watts go from like 8-10 to 55-60 and quickly come back down, is this also normal?

During gameplay, I mainly play FPS shooters at high frame rates with most details turned to low. In overwatch @205fps, I see my temps hover around 45-47, but it fluctuates like 44, 45, 47, 50, 46 etc just like that, all C, are things like this normal?

Sometimes the temps can reach over 50, I see my peak package temp go to 55, then I’ll look back 5 minutes late, see 56, then 10 minutes later, I see 57 and I am worried that this is not normal and my temps will slowly rise and rise when I am not looking. I can be quite paranoid about things so I also ask are things like this normal? Would water cooling not have this slowly rising temps?

Last question is what would happen if my temps were to peak at 80c or higher for a split second from video rendering or stress testing? Would that be bad? If my temps were to reach their limit even for a split second and come back down would my computer shut off due to temp warnings?

I did a 10 minutes test with Aida64 extreme today and I am at stock settings. My package temp topped out at 77c, and my voltage topped out at 1.26 according to both programs and my vr vout topped at 1.24. I am hoping these are okay and well within a good margin?

I am really sorry if these are stupid questions and I’ve researches a ton and can’t find specific enough answers to what I am asking. Thank you and I hope I am not wasting anyone’s time.

Last edited:
Solution
Well, in that case, what I said to start with.

Anything that is BELOW 80°C, is normal. Anything that is above that, is not normal. And yes, those temp fluctuations are normal.

That is all you really need to know, UNLESS for whatever reason your system is not complying to that, which from what you posted, it seems your system IS complying with that. It doesn't matter if your CPU runs at 79°C from the time you start it up to the time you shut it down, so long as it doesn't exceed 80°C. If it does, then there is probably either a lack of cooling somewhere, a poorly mounted or misconfigured cooler or too much core voltage.

Since yours does not exceed 80°C, you do not have a problem, and you are wasting your own time and everybody else's...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... 9900kf currently at stock MCE off ... noctua nh-d15 cooler ... Corsair 750d airflow case ... 2 Noctua 140mm fans front and 1 of the same in the back as exhaust.

... idle at around 27-30c, my ambient temp is 25c or 77f most of the time. I use both hwmonitor and hwinfo to look at my temps etc.

... Firefox or chrome I can see my package temp (or sometimes a core or 2) go from 30-31c to 42-45 sometimes even 46 or 50c for a split second and then come back down ... are those temps normal? Even loading a webpage can see my temps go from 32c to 40, to 42, to 45 then 46c for a few seconds then instantly come back down. Is that also normal?

I saw 33c package temp to 46-49 and back down instantly. This is making me sweat a little bit XD while watching a 1080p video on YouTube. I can see my package temp go from 33 to 42 then 46 and back down ... I also see my watts go from like 8-10 to 55-60 and quickly come back down, is this also normal?

During gameplay ... I see my temps hover around 45-47, but it fluctuates like 44, 45, 47, 50, 46 etc just like that, all C, are things like this normal?

Sometimes the temps can reach over 50, I see my peak package temp go to 55, then I’ll look back 5 minutes late, see 56, then 10 minutes later, I see 57 and I am worried that this is not normal ... I can be quite paranoid about things so I also ask are things like this normal? Would water cooling not have this slowly rising temps?

Last question is what would happen if my temps were to peak at 80c or higher for a split second from video rendering or stress testing? Would that be bad? If my temps were to reach their limit even for a split second and come back down would my computer shut off due to temp warnings?

I did a 10 minutes test with Aida64 extreme today and I am at stock settings. My package temp topped out at 77c, and my voltage topped out at 1.26 according to both programs and my vr vout topped at 1.24. I am hoping these are okay and well within a good margin?

I am really sorry if these are stupid questions and I’ve researches a ton and can’t find specific enough answers to what I am asking. Thank you and I hope I am not wasting anyone’s time.

Apparently you won't take yes for an answer, and sorry to say, but respectfully, yes, you are wasting our time as we've already covered all of this.

We addressed your concerns in one of your 2 previous threads regarding thermal spikes: Hi, have some quick questions about voltages 9900k - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/hi-have-some-quick-questions-about-voltages-9900k.3512402/

Hi, question about cpu voltages - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/hi-question-about-cpu-voltages.3512388/

If you want to "fully understand" and save me a considerable amount of additional typing, then hold your questions and please read the link I provided above to the Intel Temperature Guide.

"Spiking is covered in Sections 4 & 13. After you read it, you'll be better equipped to ask whatever questions you like from a more informed perspective." :sol:

We have very good reasons for providing links for our members to read. If you won't read our links, then you make it extremely difficult for anyone to help you. Obviously, the nature of this repetitive line of questions strongly suggests that you didn't read or consider the information we provided. Apparently you feel that you'll find more agreeable or informative answers through 3rd, 4th 5th 6th and 7th through 11th opinions.

Yet, here you are again asking about spiking, when I gave you the means to clearly understand the issue. It's unreasonable to task us as a community with spoon-feeding you the information through responding to a seemingly endless procession of 20 questions, when it's already been written for the purpose of not having to regurgitate it 186,300 times / second for those who won't read.

Darkbreeze, obviously I've failed to provide any arguments which are adequately convincing, so please jump in here and provide some additional but eloquent insights for our unwaveringly unconvinced member, so he may finally and fully comprehend the issue and cease pinging the boundless depths of our resources.

CT :heink:

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
I did read the article you sent me to. I also reread the sections you suggest 2 or 3 times. I still didn’t quite understand, while I did listen to what you said, I still had other specific questions in my head looming for days and I am trying my hardest to make sure I take care of a rig, more specifically a cpu that no matter how much i research I see 100000000 different answers on this, that and the other and it’s just all very confusing to me on what is right and what is safe and what isn’t. I’m just trying to be careful.

Again I I didn’t mean to upset you or anyone and I didn’t mean to waste anyone’s time. If you want, go ahead and delete this thread (I am trying to find the option but I don’t see it). I don’t want to waste space and make it harder for other people to get their questions answered. Again I am sorry. In the future I will try to be better about what I ask and how I respond to the answers I am given.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
As I stated in your previous thread, "I understand your confusion". Thanks to Intel's poorly written and over-complicated specifications, this is a highly confusing topic with a steep learning curve. Clearly, you're not the first person to find yourself in this position. 100,000,000 different opinions? Yes, I've singularly and certainly taken extreme notice over the course of many years as well. At this juncture, please see your Conversations for additional information I've provided for you concerning this topic.

CT :sol:

Well, in that case, what I said to start with.

Anything that is BELOW 80°C, is normal. Anything that is above that, is not normal. And yes, those temp fluctuations are normal.

That is all you really need to know, UNLESS for whatever reason your system is not complying to that, which from what you posted, it seems your system IS complying with that. It doesn't matter if your CPU runs at 79°C from the time you start it up to the time you shut it down, so long as it doesn't exceed 80°C. If it does, then there is probably either a lack of cooling somewhere, a poorly mounted or misconfigured cooler or too much core voltage.

Since yours does not exceed 80°C, you do not have a problem, and you are wasting your own time and everybody else's by repeatedly asking the same question, from different angles.

When your system exceeds 80 degrees Celcius, then you have a problem, MAYBE. If the system idles at 79 degrees Celcius but never exceeds 80°C under a full load, then you don't have a problem.

If your system idles at 30°C and peaks at 77°C while running Prime95 with AVX and AVX2 disabled, then you don't have a problem.

For the record, and I'm sure Computronix has probably already told you this before but I don't think I've come across the other threads you posted so I'll mention it now just in case he didn't. Aida is not what you want to be using for testing thermal compliance. Use Prime95 for thermal compliance testing and disable the AVX and AVX2 instructions in the options at the bottom of the box that pops up when you first start up Prime95. Choose the "Small FFT" option. Not the "Smallest FFT" or "Blend" or "Large FFT". Small. Anything else you use for thermal testing is probably not using a steady state load, which is fine for stability testing, but not for thermal testing.

One last note. If Computronix tells you a thing, you can take that thing to the bank because it's incredibly unlikely that you're going to find anybody else, anywhere, short of an electronics engineers convention, that is going to offer you a more knowledgeable response and not expect to get paid for it, and probably even then it's doubtful they'll have the same level of expertise that Comp has in this area. So basically, across the web, if you want to know something about Intel CPU architecture or behavior, he is THE person you would want to ask. You should consider yourself fortunate that he's offered to provide you with personal care in understanding these matters.

Solution

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
I am very and sincerely sorry for the trouble I have caused. I honestly did not mean to. I have read all the information you both have provided me and I promise I am listening. I won't make another thread on this matter.

Again I am sorry.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Arbiter051

In the upper right-hand corner of your screen there's a small "envelope" with a red check mark, which means someone has started a Conversation with you. Please click on your envelope and read the Conversation, as I've provided some additional information for you concerning this topic.

CT :sol:

I don't think you've caused any "trouble", per se. It's just that it's a little bit frustrating when you already have the envelope with the answers in your hand, but don't want to accept what's written on the letter, so to speak.

Being overly cautious about things is ok, good in fact. But when you get the answers from people who know what they are talking about that tells you all is well, you kind of need to assume that advice was given in an effort to help you make sure you are ok. If you were not ok, believe me, we'd be the first people to tell you so.

TRENDING THREADS