Question CPU Temp for Ryzen 7 3800X?

The Ryzen master is probably your best bet, it's supposed to have more accurate readings, though I think most programs are now fine as well, but still go with Ryzen Master to be sure first, then you can go for more simple programs like HWMonitor, just make sure the two are showing the same readings before switching to something else.

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013
The Ryzen master is probably your best bet, it's supposed to have more accurate readings, though I think most programs are now fine as well, but still go with Ryzen Master to be sure first, then you can go for more simple programs like HWMonitor, just make sure the two are showing the same readings before switching to something else.

HWMonitor doesn't show temp for somr easons. I tried HWINFO64 and it shows my temperature but it's spiking constantly between 40C and 60C during idle. I am using H100i V2 with high quality thermal paste. I used a dot of thermal paste as usual as I did for another CPUs before.

Edited: The spiking temp was during using website but I left it alone and it's still spiking anyways? It's very strange. While actual idling, it was spiking between 30C to 40C. When I opened a firefox and leave it alone, the temp was spiking like crazy forward and backward between 40c and 60c.

Last edited:
HWMonitor doesn't show temp for somr easons. I tried HWINFO64 and it shows my temperature but it's spiking constantly between 40C and 60C during idle. I am using H100i V2 with high quality thermal paste. I used a dot of thermal paste as usual as I did for another CPUs before.

Edited: The spiking temp was during using website but I left it alone and it's still spiking anyways? It's very strange. While actual idling, it was spiking between 30C to 40C. When I opened a firefox and leave it alone, the temp was spiking like crazy forward and backward between 40c and 60c.
Try Ryzen Master.

With Ryzen Master, the actual idling is like 30C to 33C. 35-40C when casual surfing like reading manga or watching a video.

Gaming, I haven't test yet. is these temperatures about actual idling and casual idling normal?
Sounds pretty regular to me, though of course it also depends on your ambient temperatures...but these idle temps are absolutely fine. Try putting the CPU under load and check then.

Is there any good program to check my CPU's temp? I can't find any.
The best program is HWInfo64. It's the only program I know that shows all the correct CPU temp sensors. That would be the CPU Tctl and Tdie sensors, which actually isn't one sensor but the highest of the many sensors scattered about the CPU. Other monitors show the motherboard sensors which are way to slow to be meaningful (alone) for Ryzen 3000 CPU's. Under light, bursty loads, individual sensors will, and should, quickly peak then come back down as the CPU makes adjustments. You see that behavior in HWInfo with Tdie.

RyzenMaster is known to be flaky with temperature readouts, apparently it does some kind of averaging nobody can figure out.

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013
The best program is HWInfo64. It's the only program I know that shows all the correct CPU temp sensors. That would be the CPU Tctl and Tdie sensors, which actually isn't one sensor but the highest of the many sensors scattered about the CPU. Other monitors show the motherboard sensors which are way to slow to be meaningful (alone) for Ryzen 3000 CPU's. Under light, bursty loads, individual sensors will, and should, quickly peak then come back down as the CPU makes adjustments. You see that behavior in HWInfo with Tdie.

RyzenMaster is known to be flaky with temperature readouts, apparently it does some kind of averaging nobody can figure out.

HWInfo64 shows higher temperature than Ryzen master. I don't know which shows correct temps. But both programs show high voltage above 1.3 spiking on most of cores. Should I be concerned? I have read some threads saying that it shouldn't be that high under light load.

HWInfo64 shows higher temperature than Ryzen master. I don't know which shows correct temps. But both programs show high voltage above 1.3 spiking on most of cores. Should I be concerned? I have read some threads saying that it shouldn't be that high under light load.
HWInfo64 is more correct but look at Tdie/Tctl.

It's normal for Ryzen 3000 voltage will go up to 1.5V under light bursty loads. Under heavy loads my 3700x drops to well under 1.4V with really heavy loads maybe even under 1.3. The light bursty loads are when it boosts to highest clock and that needs the highest voltage, but under heavy loads it is limiting clocks so the voltage need is less.

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013
HWInfo64 is more correct but look at Tdie/Tctl.

It's normal for Ryzen 3000 voltage will go up to 1.5V under light bursty loads. Under heavy loads my 3700x drops to well under 1.4V with really heavy loads maybe even under 1.3. The light bursty loads are when it boosts to highest clock and that needs the highest voltage, but under heavy loads it is limiting clocks so the voltage need is less.

Can you give me links to official AMD or some sort that says these spiking temperatures and voltage are normal under light load?

Can you give me links to official AMD or some sort that says these spiking temperatures and voltage are normal under light load?
It isn't something exclusive to AMD or to your CPU for that matter - it's just how automatic boost works. When there's a small, quick burst of load on the CPU, especially on a single core, that single core reaches much higher clock speed than the other cores, which requires more voltage for it to get there, and hence the voltage spikes. I doubt AMD has an official statement telling us how Precision Boost affects voltages. It's almost into the area of common sense - when the processor speeds up, even for a moment, it requires more voltage to do so.

It's somewhat extensive... read down to para. 4 in the 'What to Expect from Your Processor' narrative.
https://community.amd.com/servlet/J...2-124770/Community_Update5_Detailed_Brief.pdf

FYI... Robert Halleck is the AMD technical support rep who's been handling tech issues in the internet for the Ryzen processor releases. He's active on Reddit as u/AMD_Robert.

And then more recently there's this too:
https://community.amd.com/community...ios-updates-for-boost-and-idle-plus-a-new-sdk

And then a very interesting test session where an avid overclocker name of buildzoid is demonstrating ryzen boost behaviour while instrumented on a test bench:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORHYffg5ipM

Last edited:

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013
I left my computer on last night and it's idling on 46C constantly instead of 30C-35C. fyi my room is cold

Edited: when I use my computer, its temperature gets lower. No matter what, this should be ridiculous. Naturally, it should be cooler when idling than using it. Any idea why?

Last edited: