[SOLVED] CPU temp increases instantly upon startup and PC shuts down.

lmhoxsie

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
I have a Corsair h50 water cooler that I think is broken or clogged. Every time I startup my PC, it goes into the BIOS and tells me there needs to be repairs to launch windows or I can launch windows normally. However, after maybe 30 seconds, the CPU overheats (the system says 120 degrees C) then shuts down. I’m wondering if this is a problem with my cooling, or the CPU itself. If it’s the cooler I might consider purchasing a cheap air cooler from Newegg. Thanks for the help!

Solution
I would absolutely try using a different CPU cooler because obviously your current cooler is NOT working properly.

For a more detailed answer please list your full system specifications (including the make and model number of all components).

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would absolutely try using a different CPU cooler because obviously your current cooler is NOT working properly.

For a more detailed answer please list your full system specifications (including the make and model number of all components).

Solution

lmhoxsie

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
It’s an old gateway dx 4300-05 that we had lying around our basement. Inside there is the Corsair water cooler and a different psu. All of the other components are the same as what came factory with the computer. I am trying to get it back up and running to use as a media center. I will order a cheap cpu cooler though to test. Thanks.