Question CPU temp is 115 celsius ?

Jul 12, 2022
A couple days ago my computer crashed and all of a sudden it started running a little slow i checked cpu temperature and it was 115 celsius

yes i checked the heat sink if it was tightened it was and the thermal paste was replaced, nothing at all was touched in my pc coincidence is that this began when my computer crashed i was playing a game that was really demanding on graphics and was also watching a youtube video i alt tabbed and my computer frozed, i then held down the power button to shut it off. I believe after that that’s when the problem began. the fans are working not 100% i feel little vibrations but that’s all it feels a little cold as well. i bought a new pump comes on wednesday just wanted to check with y’all if you think if it’s the motherboard. i took a pic through bios and this was the info:

CPU temp 115 celsius and voltage of cpu 0.82

KyaraM

Admirable
Did you check CPU temperature in BIOS or under Windows? If the latter, please check what it says in your BIOS. Also, what CPU and cooler are we talking here? Did you try running the computer with the side panel removed? Did the CPU fan spin? What is the rest of your system, including PSU?

Edit: which game was it?

Jul 12, 2022
windows, afterburner, and bios i checked temp all of them say 115 celsius , i5 9600kf, cooler liquid 120mm ibuypower goes about 2100 speed that’s what bios says, 650 watt power supply, asrock 4-ib motherboard, 16 gb ram corsair sticks,

also cpu fan has the fan that was connected to radiator was spinning but cpu heatsink doesn’t have a fan. both panels removed still nothing and not even a game running just being in bios puts the temp at 115 celsius (it starts at 80 celsius then begins to rise)

also the game was mortal kombat 11

KyaraM

Admirable
windows, afterburner, and bios i checked temp all of them say 115 celsius , i5 9600kf, cooler liquid 120mm ibuypower goes about 2100 speed that’s what bios says, 650 watt power supply, asrock 4-ib motherboard, 16 gb ram corsair sticks,

also cpu fan has the fan that was connected to radiator was spinning but cpu heatsink doesn’t have a fan. both panels removed still nothing and not even a game running just being in bios puts the temp at 115 celsius (it starts at 80 celsius then begins to rise)

also the game was mortal kombat 11
So, AIO. Okay, turn on the machine and then touch both tubes coming from the CPU. Is one of them warmer than the other? If yes, your pump might be defective. In that case, fans unfortunately mean very little. There simply is no heat exchange. Is the cooler still under warranty? Do you have an air cooler you could test with?

You may have a measurement problem.
If a cpu hits 100c. it will slow down or throttle.
You should never see 115c for the cpu.

Likely, though, you do have a heat problem.

Past that, a 120 aio is really insufficient for your cpu.
aio coolers do not last forever.
In time, air intrudes , or the pump fails and the unit must be replaced.
Consider using a 240 aio as a replacement if your case permits.
Or, a good air cooler will clean just as well and avoid aio issues.

What is your graphics card?
A cheap 650w psu which prebuilt pc's usually include may also be part of your problem.

Jul 12, 2022
So, AIO. Okay, turn on the machine and then touch both tubes coming from the CPU. Is one of them warmer than the other? If yes, your pump might be defective. In that case, fans unfortunately mean very little. There simply is no heat exchange. Is the cooler still under warranty? Do you have an air cooler you could test with?
one tube is cold while the other feels normal isnt that normal and not hot. and the warranty had expired, i have another CPU cooler coming in tomorrow.

Jul 12, 2022
You may have a measurement problem.
If a cpu hits 100c. it will slow down or throttle.
You should never see 115c for the cpu.

Likely, though, you do have a heat problem.

Past that, a 120 aio is really insufficient for your cpu.
aio coolers do not last forever.
In time, air intrudes , or the pump fails and the unit must be replaced.
Consider using a 240 aio as a replacement if your case permits.
Or, a good air cooler will clean just as well and avoid aio issues.

What is your graphics card?
A cheap 650w psu which prebuilt pc's usually include may also be part of your problem.
i don't think so, when you say measurement do you mean that the temperature that shows on my pc is incorrect? if so, i don't think its faulty, because the pc shuts off and the frames in game are very low. Also just bought a new 120 mm cooler coming in tomorrow i plan to build a new pc in the coming years so ill makes sure to upgrade to a better fan next time.

First of all, the system should shut down long before CPU hits 115C. However we know some <Mod Edit> manufacturers raise safety limits because they know the cooling they install is not adequate. This of course means the system is very likely to fail soon after warranty expires. They know about this and could not care less.

Second, even if pump is dead the system should not start up at 80C. For this to happen you need to physically brake contact between CPU and heatsink. Either the paste on CPU is completely gone or the AIO is no longer firmly secured to motherboard.

Finally, do not turn the PC on when you are hitting such temps. You are seriously risking damaging CPU that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 12, 2022
yeah i believe you on, i bought from i buy power. literally the cpu starts at like 70 then begins to rise, their pump that they installed is also from them. I also had this computer for 3 years now so it’s makes sense that the pump liquid maybe done for. they also charged me so much since i was a noob at computers at least a 1200 or 1300 i don’t remember came with a 460 raedon gpu barely ran anything. paste has been replace, and also the AIO is firmly place and look for every error i did but it’s secured, one pipe feels cold and other feels a little cold is that normal ?