Cpu temp is 50c and above when web browsing. Is this bad?

Eucharistadorer

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
I downloaded speedfan and core temp, and both of them are saying my E6600's temperature is fluctuating between 50-60c during web browsing. Is this abnormal and harming anything? If it is, what should I do about it? I'm using the stock fan and heatsink provided by Intel.

I think my gfx card fan isn't working anymore. As a result of this, could the gpu be making everything in the case hot because it doesn't have a fan blowing on it?

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Yes that's a high idle, assuming you don't have some insane oc. If the gpu fan is not working then, yes, it will increase your case temps. You can check the fan rpm of your video card using RivaTuner to find out for sure if it is working or not. Make sure your heatsink is securely fastened to the mobo, I have heard of numerous people having trouble with the mounts on that socket and having one of the corners loose causing really high temps.

Eucharistadorer

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
How do I get the gpu fan to work? I checked it with riva tuner, and even during fear, the rpms don't go up-but stay at 1400. Could a static shock have killed the gpu fan? But I'm not sure if I shocked it or not, it could have been something in the case clicking that sounded like static. Ah crap.....does this mean I have to buy a new gpu?

I'll double check the heatsink, but, it does come loose quite easily on two of the nobs. The design is so freakin stupid. I push them in as hard as I can, and they still come loose.

I'll check bios too.

Intel's LGA775 stock heatsink and fan isn't all that good, to tell the truth. It's not all that large and the fan gets noisy at higher RPMs, so you either have a quiet system that's hot or a decent-temperature system that's noisy. I work with a custom-built E6700 at work and it has the stock HSF setup on it. The CPU fan spins at about 1800 rpm to keep noise down and the case is Antec's P190 IIRC (yeah, the IT department got a blank check- on this one.) Idle temps are about 43 C and full-load temps are 56-58 C. Athlon 64 X2s excepting the 6000+ run much cooler at similar noise and TDP levels due to a better heatsink design. My 65-watt X2 4200+ on the stock K8 heatsink and 1900 rpm on the fan will run full-load around 39-42 C, depending on how long it's been since I've dusted out the machine. It is true that an Intel CPU with a certain TDP will put off more heat than an AMD CPU with an equivalent TDP, but that's relatively minor and doesn't explain a 25 C difference. My 4200+ running at the standard-version 1.35 Vcore throws off 89 watts and runs around 50 C full-load.

50 C will not harm a C2D, but I'd get a better heatsink if I was you. An idle of 50 C leads to a full-load temp in the 60s, which is getting a little warm. It's a shame that Intel puts a cruddy heatsink on an otherwise very good chip.