cpu temp is higher after gpu upgrade.

bcanning

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2015
cpu:Intel Core i7-6700K
graphics card:gtx1080Ti
cpu cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2

I upgraded from a 1080 FE to a 1080ti(gigabyte). when i had a 1080 my highest cpu temp was 65 degrees Celsius using the 3DMark software. now with my new graphics card. my highest cpu temp was 77.5C. I then overclocked my gpu and did another test. now my max cpu temp has increased to 85.9C.
my old grahics card used to be at 70C , but my new graphics card never goes past 63C under stress, but for some reason my cpu temp has increased the more i upgrade. can anyone explain this?

Solution
Probable reasons:
As stated by Jawlesspython04, if the AIO is roof mounted it'll be drawing the hot air off the GPU, and while the '1080Ti is running cooler its HEAT output will be higher than that of the '1080.
The '1080Ti runs faster, increasing the CPU load; More FPS=more load on both the CPU and GPU.

Probable cures:
Front mount the AIO, this will cause an increase in GPU temperatures but that should be easy enough to counter by applying a more aggressive fan profile through Afterburner.
Add intake fans or upgrade them to increase the amount of cool air entering the system.
Replace the AIO fans with stronger parts.
Add an exhaust fan, but a fairly slow one. The intake fans will push their air towards the case rear, forming a column...

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Is your GPU placed in such a way that the Hot Air from the GPU is going straight to the AIO?

This would be the case if your AIO was mounted at the top of the case and you had no other exhaust fans other than the AIO in the rear/top.

Probable reasons:
As stated by Jawlesspython04, if the AIO is roof mounted it'll be drawing the hot air off the GPU, and while the '1080Ti is running cooler its HEAT output will be higher than that of the '1080.
The '1080Ti runs faster, increasing the CPU load; More FPS=more load on both the CPU and GPU.

Probable cures:
Front mount the AIO, this will cause an increase in GPU temperatures but that should be easy enough to counter by applying a more aggressive fan profile through Afterburner.
Add intake fans or upgrade them to increase the amount of cool air entering the system.
Replace the AIO fans with stronger parts.
Add an exhaust fan, but a fairly slow one. The intake fans will push their air towards the case rear, forming a column of hot, rising air, a moderately strong exhaust fan will intercept this and draw cooler air from deeper within the case towards the AIO fans.

Solution

bcanning

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2015

Yeah I have it mounted like that. Haven't had a problem with that setup until now.I had 2 exhaust one through the rear and another through the AIO at the top. My new graphics card has 3 fans built into it instead of the 1 the 1080 FE had.So, i can see why my new graphics would cause that. I will try mounting the AIO to the front and see if that helps.