im worried my cpu temp is getting too hot

this is my spec

i7 4790k
z97x gaming 7
8gb ddr3
650w coolmaster
gtx 770
zalman z11
wasser liquid cooling - ( its the basic one)

when its on idle most of the time its between 35-40 degrees
however as soon as i play games such as shadow of mordor it shoots up in like seconds to around 60-70 degrees. im using the HWmonitir from CPUID.

i applied thermal paste again but it wont help. my cpu and motherboard is less then a few weeks old. please help. are these temp normal?
what are the average temps during idle and gaming. i dont overclock my cpu at all.
thanks

Solution
You didn't by any chance connect your pump to the CPU FAN header, did you? It needs to be connected to an always-at-12v header, like a PWR FAN or CHA FAN that is set at full speed.

aminul99

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

I have a cpu fan header and a cpu opt fan. I use both of these for the water cooling kit. Cpu opt fan is for pump i think
And cpu fan header is for cpu fan . im a bit confused. Could you explain where i should plug which to get lowest cpu temp. Thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The CPU FAN is speed controllable in BIOS. Normally it is set to vary the PWM pulse to speed up/slow down the CPU cooler's fan. If you use that header, reset the BIOS so it is on full speed only. But I would use that header for the rad fan if it is 4 wire.
Better yet, check the CPU OPT and see if it has the same speed control option. Most do not. If not, that would be fine as long as it is set to full speed. You could even use an adapter and connect the pump to any Molex connector from the PSU. The idea is to let the pump run at full RPM all the time to circulate the coolant. The rad fan will determine how much cooling is required if it is 4 wire and plugged into the CPU FAN header. If the rad fan is only 3 wire, you can plug it into any 3 wire header.