CPU Temp Monitoring

Jmelahman

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
I have the AMD FX 8320. So I've gathered there's a difference between Core Temp and CPU Temp, though I'm still kinda shaky just exactly what the difference is (CPU = real, ambient temp | Core = AMD's algorithmic temp to calculate full load temps?). ClickBIOSII and MSI Control Center read a temperature of about 48c on idle. Open Hardware Monitor, under the motherboard, shows around 42 degrees, though there's three off them so I'm not sure which is best to use (I think that #1 = CPU Temp?) and under FX-8320 it has Core #1-#8 which fluctuates from about 17-35 degrees within seconds which I'm assuming is the Core Temp.

All of these seem like standard temps with a stock cooler and I don't plan on stressing my system too much yet so I'm not too worried; I'd just like a better grasp on what HWM/BIOS is telling me and which numbers to use when.

Jmelahman

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

Thermal Margin is usually between 40 and 50 on idle.

Are my readings of HWMonitor correct? I like the gadget function of HWMonitor but they don't display Thermal Margin so just trying to figure out what I'm exactly looking at. Am I safe in assuming that Thermal Margin and Core #1-#8 are related and roughly something like: Thermal Margin = 80 minus Core #1-#8 ?

Thermal Margin of 40 to 50 on idle is a little bit low, I'd want a bit more, but the FX8 is a hot chip. What motherboard are you using?

I can't answer for HWMonitor except to say that it is known to be unreliable with AMD FX CPUs. AMD Overdrive is much more reliable, shows only Thermal Margin.

The FX chip lack actual thermocouple and use an algorithm for temperature calculation, so the numbers are indirect.

Any number below ambient is impossible, so if it is 20C in your room, 17C is a bogus reading.

Jmelahman

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

I have the MSI 970A-G43. And even if 40 is low, it's nothing to be too worried about? I just moved my computer to my downstairs where it's about 10 degrees colder and it's idling between 50 and 60. I was thinking about upgrading my cooler to the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 too though. I'm not too worried about noise. How much more cooling will I get from a pricier, liquid cooler and is it worth it if I don't plan to OC much.

As for Overdrive, are you aware of any type of gadget add-on I can download? Just something small I can put in the corner of my desktop? Can't seem to find anything built in like that..

Here's where Overdrive can be obtained. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html

An FX 8xxx is a 125W chip, so you need more than a budget CPU cooler. I would want something in the $50 US range. If you must go budget, than a CRYORIG H7 is a very good choice. Liquid cooling will nit give you much more than air, and a downdraft air cooler, like the RAIJINTEK Pallas or Noctua C12 or C14 can also keep your motherboard cooled.