Question CPU temp reaches 80C but it's only at 40% usage ?

Jesse.m.niemi

Honorable
Oct 4, 2018
I've seen that sometimes playing only minecraft my cpu temps can reach up to 80c while total cpu usage is only about 40-50%. any other game i play that can uses the cpu more doesn't make the cpu heat up as much as minecraft does.

CPU: amd 7800x3d
RAM: kingston FURY beast ddr5 RGB 6000mhz (kf560c36-16 DDR5)
MotherBoard: Asus ROG strix b650-a WiFi

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I've seen that sometimes playing only minecraft my cpu temps can reach up to 80c while total cpu usage is only about 40-50%. any other game i play that can uses the cpu more doesn't make the cpu heat up as much as minecraft does.
Minecraft is mainly single-core game, meaning it utilizes only one core.

So, when you look entire CPU usage, which also adds in all core usage, it could be: Core #1 - 90%, Core #2 - 10%, Core #3 - 10%, Core #4 - 10%, Core #5 - 0%, Core #6 - 0%, Core #7 - 0%, Core #8 - 0%. Whereby average of all cores is ~40%.
But since one of the cores is utilized heavily, it will heat up and heats up entire CPU as well. Hence high CPU temps.

But another game, that utilizes all cores equally, e.g: Core #1 - 60%, Core #2 - 60%, Core #3 - 60%, Core #4 - 60%, Core #5 - 60%, Core #6 - 60%, Core #7 - 60%, Core #8 - 60%, would make total CPU utilization 60%, but since none of the cores is working heavily, overall CPU temp is also lower.

Jesse.m.niemi

Honorable
Oct 4, 2018
Minecraft is mainly single-core game, meaning it utilizes only one core.

So, when you look entire CPU usage, which also adds in all core usage, it could be: Core #1 - 90%, Core #2 - 10%, Core #3 - 10%, Core #4 - 10%, Core #5 - 0%, Core #6 - 0%, Core #7 - 0%, Core #8 - 0%. Whereby average of all cores is ~40%.
But since one of the cores is utilized heavily, it will heat up and heats up entire CPU as well. Hence high CPU temps.

But another game, that utilizes all cores equally, e.g: Core #1 - 60%, Core #2 - 60%, Core #3 - 60%, Core #4 - 60%, Core #5 - 60%, Core #6 - 60%, Core #7 - 60%, Core #8 - 60%, would make total CPU utilization 60%, but since none of the cores is working heavily, overall CPU temp is also lower.
that makes sense, though i just noticed this happens randomly. I can have a 2 hour session and getting a max of 60c then after closing and reopening i can reach up to the max 80c in 10 minutes and vice versa.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Better CPU cooler or faster fan RPM on CPU cooler would cool CPU better, so that it won't reach such high temps.

And if you're using AIO, put the pump speed at 100%, at all times.

Jesse.m.niemi

Honorable
Oct 4, 2018
Better CPU cooler or faster fan RPM on CPU cooler would cool CPU better, so that it won't reach such high temps.

And if you're using AIO, put the pump speed at 100%, at all times.
ive upped my standard fan speeds from normal to turbo but i still dont get the random 80c sessions. could it have to do with which core the game uses or memory leaks? ive seen memory leaks be a big reason for bad fps but i can't explain my cpu being at stable 80c for a 10 minute session then reopening the game and having it run fine at 60-65c for the next hour.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but i still dont get the random 80c sessions. could it have to do with which core the game uses or memory leaks?
May not be the game at all. Could very well be some other background process (e.g Win update/telemetry) that consumes CPU at that instant, thus making CPU work harder and reaching such temps.

But memory leaks usually are runaway process, whereby some app continues to hog the RAM and once all free RAM runs out, transfers into pagefile.sys, until that too runs out. And then, either the application itself crashes, or PC freezes completely.

When Astroneer (game on Steam) 1st launched, it had memory leak when in main menu and when just idling there for ~5mins or more. Game started to hog the RAM until it reached ~12GB of RAM usage and then, game crashed to the desktop. Now, it is patched out, AFAIK.

Jesse.m.niemi

Honorable
Oct 4, 2018
May not be the game at all. Could very well be some other background process (e.g Win update/telemetry) that consumes CPU at that instant, thus making CPU work harder and reaching such temps.

But memory leaks usually are runaway process, whereby some app continues to hog the RAM and once all free RAM runs out, transfers into pagefile.sys, until that too runs out. And then, either the application itself crashes, or PC freezes completely.

When Astroneer (game on Steam) 1st launched, it had memory leak when in main menu and when just idling there for ~5mins or more. Game started to hog the RAM until it reached ~12GB of RAM usage and then, game crashed to the desktop. Now, it is patched out, AFAIK.
i see. I would expect it to be another process but having task manager open shows no other programs open or using cpu. The temperature also drops almost immediately after closing the game. Ive tried to recreate it on any other game but it seems to only happen on minecraft.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but it seems to only happen on minecraft.
Could be the world you're in?

Random generated worlds shouldn't impact CPU that much, compared to the servers where there are loads of players and/or loads of stuff already built. Since it's the CPU who needs to compute all the blocks locations, even the ones you're not seeing.

But since it is single game issue, you could look Minecraft forums. Surely there are other folks with the same or similar issue.