CPU temp readings - Bios vs MBM vs Speedfan

I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some trouble with
temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 45º C, while MBM5 and
Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C. Which one should I believe? I'm
leaning towards the bios, because speedfan has been giving me case temps
ranging from -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF several
times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that this was the
problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping. This system isn't overclocked
yet, until I get this thing cleared up. Any ideas?

Thanks,

MC

Does the BIOS report the temperature only at boot time? If so, you have a
very bad temperature problem. Two sources give the same CPU temperature
while your system has been operating. If the BIOS only gives the
temperature at boot time, which do you think more likely to be correct?

If you were to include more information, such as
the room ambient temperature,
the motherboard temperature,
the CPU idle temperature,
the CPU temperature during heavy CPU usage,
the kind of variation in temperature you see,
your motherboard,
and your operating system,
we might be able to make suggestions as to what temperature to believe and
what to do about it if the 75 degrees C is closer to the truth than 45
degrees C.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some trouble with
> temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 45º C, while MBM5 and
> Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C. Which one should I believe? I'm
> leaning towards the bios, because speedfan has been giving me case temps
> ranging from -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF several
> times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that this was the
> problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping. This system isn't overclocked
> yet, until I get this thing cleared up. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MC

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:00:05 -0400, "Moderately Confused"
<moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote:

>I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some trouble with
>temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 45º C, while MBM5 and
>Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C. Which one should I believe? I'm
>leaning towards the bios, because speedfan has been giving me case temps
>ranging from -6º all the way up to 70º.

Sounds like speedfan is reading a spare sensor with no thermal probe
hooked up to it. I get large negative numbers on the unused sensors
on my motherboard with speedfan.

Some monitor utilities get confused as to which sensor is the cpu.

Your bios sounds correct.

Ok, room temperature is 24.4C, case temperature of 26C, the Soyo HW
monitoring system says system idle of 45C, heaviest usage of cpu at the
moment is 45 minutes of UT2004 demo, again Soyo HW reports at around 55C.
I'm also using a Hardcano thermistor, which is stuck between the fins of the
heatsink over the core and that gives me a reading of 30C at idle and 41C at
heavy use.
My motherboard is a Soyo P4I 845PE, and I'm running Windows 2000. I
also have 4 80mm fans at 12 volts. Vcore is set to 1.4v, and I've reset the
heatsink and fan several times, with new compound every time.

Thanks,

MC

"Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
> Does the BIOS report the temperature only at boot time? If so, you have a
> very bad temperature problem. Two sources give the same CPU temperature
> while your system has been operating. If the BIOS only gives the
> temperature at boot time, which do you think more likely to be correct?
>
> If you were to include more information, such as
> the room ambient temperature,
> the motherboard temperature,
> the CPU idle temperature,
> the CPU temperature during heavy CPU usage,
> the kind of variation in temperature you see,
> your motherboard,
> and your operating system,
> we might be able to make suggestions as to what temperature to believe and
> what to do about it if the 75 degrees C is closer to the truth than 45
> degrees C.
>

> --
> Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
> For communication,
> replace "at" with the 'at sign'
> replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
> replace "dot" with "."
>
> "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some trouble with
> > temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 45º C, while MBM5
and
> > Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C. Which one should I believe? I'm
> > leaning towards the bios, because speedfan has been giving me case temps
> > ranging from -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF
several
> > times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that this was the
> > problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping. This system isn't
overclocked
> > yet, until I get this thing cleared up. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > MC

If you have Windows 2000 or Windows XP, a 45 degree C CPU idle temperature
is way too high. It should be only a few degrees above the air temperature
inside your case (Windows 2000 and Windows XP issue low power consumption
instructions while the CPU is idle, and the CPU consumes only a few Watts.)
With your admirable air temperatures inside your case and with those
operating systems the CPU idle temperature should be more like 28 - 30
degrees C. You didn't explain WHEN you get the CPU temperatures from the
BIOS. Is it at boot time only? The Soyo HW monitoring system probably
works with the same signals that MotherBoard Monitor does. I think
MotherBoard monitor is generally recognized as much superior to the
monitoring application provided by motherboard manufacturers.

At the moment, all I can suggest is to check to make sure MotherBoard
Monitor is configured correctly; and to try installing the heatsink using a
smaller amount of thermal compound. And another question; what heatsink/fan
are you using?

--

> Ok, room temperature is 24.4C, case temperature of 26C, the Soyo HW
> monitoring system says system idle of 45C, heaviest usage of cpu at the
> moment is 45 minutes of UT2004 demo, again Soyo HW reports at around 55C.
> I'm also using a Hardcano thermistor, which is stuck between the fins of
the
> heatsink over the core and that gives me a reading of 30C at idle and 41C
at
> heavy use.
> My motherboard is a Soyo P4I 845PE, and I'm running Windows 2000. I
> also have 4 80mm fans at 12 volts. Vcore is set to 1.4v, and I've reset
the
> heatsink and fan several times, with new compound every time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> MC
>
> "Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
> > Does the BIOS report the temperature only at boot time? If so, you have
> > very bad temperature problem. Two sources give the same CPU temperature
> > while your system has been operating. If the BIOS only gives the
> > temperature at boot time, which do you think more likely to be correct?
> >
> > If you were to include more information, such as
> > the room ambient temperature,
> > the motherboard temperature,
> > the CPU idle temperature,
> > the CPU temperature during heavy CPU usage,
> > the kind of variation in temperature you see,
> > your motherboard,
> > and your operating system,
> > we might be able to make suggestions as to what temperature to believe
and
> > what to do about it if the 75 degrees C is closer to the truth than 45
> > degrees C.
> >

> > --
> > Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
> > For communication,
> > replace "at" with the 'at sign'
> > replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
> > replace "dot" with "."
> >
> > "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some trouble with
> > > temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 45º C, while MBM5
> and
> > > Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C. Which one should I believe? I'm
> > > leaning towards the bios, because speedfan has been giving me case
temps
> > > ranging from -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF
> several
> > > times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that this was
the
> > > problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping. This system isn't
> overclocked
> > > yet, until I get this thing cleared up. Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > MC

Yes, I only get the cpu temp when I boot or reboot the computer. Is there
another way to get them? I'm using the stock heatsink and fan.

> [...]
> > > Does the BIOS report the temperature only at boot time? If so, you
have
> > > very bad temperature problem. Two sources give the same CPU
temperature
> > > while your system has been operating. If the BIOS only gives the
> > > temperature at boot time, which do you think more likely to be
correct?

> > > If you were to include more information, such as
> > > the room ambient temperature,
> > > the motherboard temperature,
> > > the CPU idle temperature,
> > > the CPU temperature during heavy CPU usage,
> > > the kind of variation in temperature you see,
> > > your motherboard,
> > > and your operating system,
> > > we might be able to make suggestions as to what temperature to believe
> and
> > > what to do about it if the 75 degrees C is closer to the truth than 45

Now that you mention it, when I leave my computer on overnight, my Hardcano
temperature probe does give a reading under 30C when I look at it in the
morning.

MC

> [...]
> > > Ok, room temperature is 24.4C, case temperature of 26C, the Soyo HW
> > > monitoring system says system idle of 45C, heaviest usage of cpu at
the
> > > moment is 45 minutes of UT2004 demo, again Soyo HW reports at around
> 55C.
> > > I'm also using a Hardcano thermistor, which is stuck between the fins
of
> > the
> > > heatsink over the core and that gives me a reading of 30C at idle and
> 41C
> > at
> > > heavy use.
> > > My motherboard is a Soyo P4I 845PE, and I'm running Windows 2000.
> > > also have 4 80mm fans at 12 volts. Vcore is set to 1.4v, and I've
reset
> > the
> > > heatsink and fan several times, with new compound every time.

The point about the CPU temperature read from the BIOS is that it is
useless; you read it before the CPU has done enough to get hot. Some BIOS
chips provide a temperature alarm when the reading goes above a set limit,
but displaying the CPU temperature in a BIOS setup screen is just window
dressing. Since you are using the stock heatsink and fan, are you using a
thermal pad each time you reinstall the heatsink/fan, or have you gone to a
thermal compound? To me it looks more and more like you should go by the
MotherBoard Monitor readings, just check that you have set up the correct
sensor number for the thermal diode. Usually if you get this set
incorrectly the reported temperatures will be clearly incorrect: below zero
or above 100.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,
replace "at" with the 'at sign'
replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
replace "dot" with "."

"Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I only get the cpu temp when I boot or reboot the computer. Is there
> another way to get them? I'm using the stock heatsink and fan.
>
> MC

My Bios has the high temperature alarm/shutoff, and I have it set to 70C. I
goofed up the thermal pad, so now I'm using compound. I'm going to
reinstall MBM. Thanks for your help,

> The point about the CPU temperature read from the BIOS is that it is
> useless; you read it before the CPU has done enough to get hot. Some BIOS
> chips provide a temperature alarm when the reading goes above a set limit,
> but displaying the CPU temperature in a BIOS setup screen is just window
> dressing. Since you are using the stock heatsink and fan, are you using a
> thermal pad each time you reinstall the heatsink/fan, or have you gone to
> thermal compound? To me it looks more and more like you should go by
the
> MotherBoard Monitor readings, just check that you have set up the correct
> sensor number for the thermal diode. Usually if you get this set
> incorrectly the reported temperatures will be clearly incorrect: below
zero
> or above 100.
>
> --
> Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
> For communication,
> replace "at" with the 'at sign'
> replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
> replace "dot" with "."
>

> "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I only get the cpu temp when I boot or reboot the computer. Is
there
> > another way to get them? I'm using the stock heatsink and fan.
> >
> > MC

Good idea to use the BIOS alarm as a fail-safe (though actually, all Intel
Pentium CPU's have a built-in fail-safe; a second thermal diode on the CPU
chip that shuts the chip down above a factory set temperature.)

And also a good idea to use thermal compound. By the way, a thermal pad can
only be used once; if the heatsink is removed, either a new thermal pad or
thermal compound must be used.

--

> My Bios has the high temperature alarm/shutoff, and I have it set to 70C.
> goofed up the thermal pad, so now I'm using compound. I'm going to
> reinstall MBM. Thanks for your help,
>
> MC
>

> "Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
> > The point about the CPU temperature read from the BIOS is that it is
> > useless; you read it before the CPU has done enough to get hot. Some
BIOS
> > chips provide a temperature alarm when the reading goes above a set
limit,
> > but displaying the CPU temperature in a BIOS setup screen is just window
> > dressing. Since you are using the stock heatsink and fan, are you using
> > thermal pad each time you reinstall the heatsink/fan, or have you gone
> > thermal compound? To me it looks more and more like you should go by
> the
> > MotherBoard Monitor readings, just check that you have set up the
correct
> > sensor number for the thermal diode. Usually if you get this set
> > incorrectly the reported temperatures will be clearly incorrect: below
> zero
> > or above 100.
> >
> > --
> > Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
> > For communication,
> > replace "at" with the 'at sign'
> > replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
> > replace "dot" with "."
> >

> > "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, I only get the cpu temp when I boot or reboot the computer. Is
> there
> > > another way to get them? I'm using the stock heatsink and fan.
> > >
> > > MC

Spajky

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:48:19 -0400, "Moderately Confused"
<moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote:

>Ok, room temperature is 24.4C, case temperature of 26C, the Soyo HW
>monitoring system says system idle of 45C, heaviest usage of cpu at the
>moment is 45 minutes of UT2004 demo, again Soyo HW reports at around 55C.
>I'm also using a Hardcano thermistor, which is stuck between the fins of the
>heatsink over the core and that gives me a reading of 30C at idle and 41C at
>heavy use.
> My motherboard is a Soyo P4I 845PE, and I'm running Windows 2000. I
>also have 4 80mm fans at 12 volts. Vcore is set to 1.4v, and I've reset the
>heatsink and fan several times, with new compound every time.

do not worry, your temps are Ok ....
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##