[SOLVED] CPU temp sensor stuck at 100 celsius - MSI Z370 PC Pro

Decemus

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2015
Hi, so recently the temp reading for my CPU has been randomly getting stuck at 100 C when I'm not even using any intense programs. It has happened twice within the past day. I thought it was only AIDA64, but my CPU fan was up to 2000 rpm and the case fans were at 1500 rpm. My fan speed is through the bios, so I assumed that it couldn't just be AIDA64. I got an AIDA64 report and the temps showed this:

Motherboard 31 °C
CPU 100 °C
CPU Package 37 °C
CPU IA Cores 37 °C
CPU GT Cores 32 °C
CPU #1 / Core #1 35 °C
CPU #1 / Core #2 34 °C
CPU #1 / Core #3 31 °C
CPU #1 / Core #4 32 °C
CPU #1 / Core #5 32 °C
CPU #1 / Core #6 37 °C
PCH Diode 34 °C
GPU Diode 41 °C

CPU: i5-9600k
MOBO: MSI Z370 PC Pro
Cooler: Cooler Master MA410P

I have had those three components for two years. Could it be a motherboard sensor issue? After putting my PC to sleep the temp reading went back to normal. I updated my BIOS that was pretty outdated last week.

Last edited:
Solution
For the record, don't ever select your own answer as the solution. That's considered gaming the system here and is a rules violation. Clearly you were not aware of that. Now you are. Solution unselected.

Also, for future reference, it is WISE to not EVER install ANY of the bundled software utilities from any of the motherboard manufacturers. Every SINGLE ONE of them does nothing but cause problems. I've seen all of the tweak and control UI utilities from ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock and MSI cause problems of one sort or another, on multiple platforms and generations. There are always better third party options in just about every case. If you need a monitoring utility, use HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Speccy, or anything...
Is it consistently getting stuck there, or was it only a one time thing?

Your board SHOULD still be under warranty, so if it does it consistently I would recommend that you initiate an RMA right away while it still has warranty coverage. Pretty clearly that's a case of a failed thermal diode or one that is beginning to fail. Either that or it's related to something in the BIOS update you did. Might be buggy update.

Decemus

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2015
Is it consistently getting stuck there, or was it only a one time thing?

Your board SHOULD still be under warranty, so if it does it consistently I would recommend that you initiate an RMA right away while it still has warranty coverage. Pretty clearly that's a case of a failed thermal diode or one that is beginning to fail. Either that or it's related to something in the BIOS update you did. Might be buggy update.

It's only happened two times so far, so I guess if it happens again I'll submit an RMA. I checked MSI and I have a 36-month warranty, thanks.

Decemus

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2015
Okay, so I figured out what was causing the issue. It wasn't the motherboard failing, but I believe it was MSI Command Center. When I went to update my BIOS, I installed the MSI programs along with it thinking that it would help it, but it didn't. I uninstalled all the MSI software it installed when I updated my BIOS and now I haven't had any issues for about 3 weeks.

For the record, don't ever select your own answer as the solution. That's considered gaming the system here and is a rules violation. Clearly you were not aware of that. Now you are. Solution unselected.

Also, for future reference, it is WISE to not EVER install ANY of the bundled software utilities from any of the motherboard manufacturers. Every SINGLE ONE of them does nothing but cause problems. I've seen all of the tweak and control UI utilities from ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock and MSI cause problems of one sort or another, on multiple platforms and generations. There are always better third party options in just about every case. If you need a monitoring utility, use HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Speccy, or anything similar) or Core Temp for CPU and other hardware sensor monitoring. For graphics cards, obviously, you can use the GX card manufacturers utility OR Afterburner, which works regardless of card brand.

The motherboard drivers are of course fine, but the utilities are just problematic.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS