Cpu Temp Showing 127c....

Tim Still

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Ive been doing some research, and i figure the sensor on the cpu is broken. It is reading 127c and i know that cannot be possibly right. It stays at 127c and then will go down to 55c for a couple seconds and then right back to 127c (as you can see in the graph). The fan also fluctuates like this and it is VERY annoying.

I have felt my heatsink and it isnt hot to the touch..

What do you think is the problem here?

xd74a1.png[

rjmiix.png

Solution
What gets me stumped is that that phenom ii has a 90°C shutdown and the Silicon the chip is made from is rated at only 97°C. If in fact the cpu is reaching over this limit, it should have shutdown immediately to prevent damage, or, the cpu has already broached the 97° Silicon limit and so basically is fried, which would explain the 127°C reading.

Unscrew just the fan, clean out the dust from the heatsink, put the fan back on and pray you haven't cooked the cpu. If temp doesn't change drastically, as in you should be seeing idle temps @40ish, load temps 50ish, then RMA the cpu or buy a new one, because the one you have now is cooked.
as the cpu is a few years old the thermal paste under the cpu fan may have dried out. call your local best buys or computer stores a lot of them sell the repaste kits with the cleaning wiped and paste in them. all you need if you dont have a lot of funds is pick up the paste and use 90 percent rubbing alcohol on a cloth to clean the cpu.

It is an incorrect reading or bad sensor.

popatim

Titan
cpu fan may be settable in the bios. Systems fans may or may not be there too but you could purchase a fan controller to do the job also. Just be aware that system fans are usually 3 wire and cpu fans are usually 4 wire and PWM which needs a different kind of fan controller.

Of course you could always change your cpu fan to a 3 wire fan... :)

Tim Still

Reputable
May 5, 2015
jtrlvk.jpg

I was making sure the pins were all connected and noticed this doesnt look good at all. so much dust. do you think this could be the problem? i tried cleaning it up a bit with toothpick (no duster atm) and i started my cpu and its running 1000rpms slower fan but still shows 127c temp

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When cleaning my pc, I use an old, soft bristle 1" paintbrush to stir up the dust, an artists paintbrush to get between fan blades and the hose on my van about 3-5" away, to remove the dust. Beats the hell out of a can of compressed air, and costs nothing.

Tim Still

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Well im kindve scared to keep running this cpu. the fan keeps throttling from 5000rpms and then it goes idle for 1-3 secs... was playing a game and the screen started glitching out.. not sure what i should do

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What gets me stumped is that that phenom ii has a 90°C shutdown and the Silicon the chip is made from is rated at only 97°C. If in fact the cpu is reaching over this limit, it should have shutdown immediately to prevent damage, or, the cpu has already broached the 97° Silicon limit and so basically is fried, which would explain the 127°C reading.

Unscrew just the fan, clean out the dust from the heatsink, put the fan back on and pray you haven't cooked the cpu. If temp doesn't change drastically, as in you should be seeing idle temps @40ish, load temps 50ish, then RMA the cpu or buy a new one, because the one you have now is cooked.

Solution
I don't think it could ever reach that temp to read it. That is well beyond most silicon limits. The sensor has to be fried or at the very least is being misinterpreted or skewed to produce that number. He certainly wouldn't be able to boot to a desktop and or run any bench-marking applications if that number was real.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nope. There are several sensor locations. Core temps come from a sensor strip inside the cpu on each core, package temp is on the mobo by the cpu, and another that's under the cpu, etc. It's important that each core temp is independent of motherboard dependability because the cpu manufacturer can in no way guarantee the reliability of another company's products.

Tim Still

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Computers been running fine. i have confirmed from my brother (previous owner) that the temp sensor is messed up. he has had it showing 127c for a year now so that is impossible its not done for. Also i was trying to remove the fan, but im not exactly sure how.

Anyone mind explaining?