Question CPU Temp showing up as super high, but PC is showing no problem

Oct 1, 2019
CPU Temp is reading as in the 90's when playing games, but PC shows no signs of problem. Thermal safety options are enabled in BIOS, but nothing has crashed or auto-shutdown. Concerned with whether the CPU is actually that hot, and if so why is the PC not shutting down.

i5-8600k
Asrock Z390m Pro4
Win 10
GTX 1070Ti

Kamal007v

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
CPU Temp is reading as in the 90's when playing games, but PC shows no signs of problem. Thermal safety options are enabled in BIOS, but nothing has crashed or auto-shutdown. Concerned with whether the CPU is actually that hot, and if so why is the PC not shutting down.

i5-8600k
Asrock Z390m Pro4
Win 10
GTX 1070Ti
Man these 8th gen chips run really hot. My i7 8700 hits 99c and still boost 4.3Ghz all cores. When it hits 100c it throttles for like a couple of seconds then keeps pushing the boost. It will only shutdown or restart if you keep hitting over 95c for a long time. But you know it's not good. I used multiple softwares to make sure i'm not assuming stuff.

Hi...the 8600K and 8700 will both run hot if you are using the stock CPU cooler or a weak cooler. The top temp before it throttles is 105 Degrees C but personally for gaming you should not even be at 70 degrees C and with a good air cooler you will be in the 50's to 60's degrees.

Something like the cheap and cheerful Hyper 212 EVO will make a huge difference to temps.

It would be good to know what CPU coolers the both of you are using so that we can rule that out as the issue...

Reactions: Kamal007v

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
How much do your temps drop when removing the side panel from the case? Perhaps you have a terrible case for air flow....

Or thermal paste is not applied properly, if there is a hot spot you will see temps like this.

Kamal007v

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
Hi...the 8600K and 8700 will both run hot if you are using the stock CPU cooler or a weak cooler. The top temp before it throttles is 105 Degrees C but personally for gaming you should not even be at 70 degrees C and with a good air cooler you will be in the 50's to 60's degrees.

Something like the cheap and cheerful Hyper 212 EVO will make a huge difference to temps.

It would be good to know what CPU coolers the both of you are using so that we can rule that out as the issue...
Yes. I am using the stock cooler. My case doesn't have clearance for the 212 so i placed an order for a Hyper H410R today. I was looking for some answers that's when i found this post and decided to give a heads up.

Oct 1, 2019

I am using the Arctis Freezer 33, A Good cooler I thought.

Oct 1, 2019
How much do your temps drop when removing the side panel from the case? Perhaps you have a terrible case for air flow....

Or thermal paste is not applied properly, if there is a hot spot you will see temps like this.
Temps are around 60's when not gaming or doing anything intensive. And I don't actually have the side panel on because it doesn't fit. I was meaning to check the thermal paste.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Achillesssg,

You need to read Section 9 - The TIM Problem:

Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Hi...the 8600K and 8700 will both run hot if you are using the stock CPU cooler or a weak cooler. The top temp before it throttles is 105 Degrees C ...

vMax,

Respectfully, you appear to be somewhat misinformed.

While you're correct that Intel's 65 Watt TDP stock cooler (PCG 2015C) is inadequate for the i7-8700, in the interest of accuracy and clarity for our members and readers, Intel does not package their specified 130 Watt stock cooler (PCG 2015D) with 6th through 9th Generation "K" processors; the stock cooler is instead sold separately.

Also, Throttle temperature (Tj Max) for Core i 1st, 4th and 6th through 9th Generation desktop processors is 100°C. Throttle temperature for 3rd Generation desktop processors is 105°C.

CT :sol:

Reactions: vMax
Achillesssg,

You need to read Section 9 - The TIM Problem:

Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

vMax,

Respectfully, you appear to be somewhat misinformed.

While you're correct that Intel's 65 Watt TDP stock cooler (PCG 2015C) is inadequate for the i7-8700, in the interest of accuracy and clarity for our members and readers, Intel does not package their specified 130 Watt stock cooler (PCG 2015D) with 6th through 9th Generation "K" processors; the stock cooler is instead sold separately.

Also, Throttle temperature (Tj Max) for Core i 1st, 4th and 6th through 9th Generation desktop processors is 100°C. Throttle temperature for 3rd Generation desktop processors is 105°C.

CT :sol:

And double respectfully to you.... As someone who has a K CPU, and 4 generations (though a couple technically are not real generations...Intel up to there usual games!) previously of K CPU's in the past, I do know that the 8600K does not come with a CPU cooler and that is why I said 'if you are using the stock CPU cooler or a weak cooler' (I was answering 2 people in the same post and I'll try to be clearer the next time..) hence at the end, the reason I asked what CPU cooler do they both have....

And I stand corrected on the max T-Junction temp of 100 degrees C instead of 105 degrees C, though I would never let a CPU get anywhere near that! As it would be....☢

Last edited:
Reactions: CompuTronix

TRENDING THREADS