Tactix1

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I'm trying to figure out what is suddenly causing my cpu temp to constantly spike and run hotter under load. It's an Intel 2700k clocked to a constant 5.0ghz on an Asrock z77 OC Formula board. Core voltage being 1.380.

Previously at idle it would stay around 36 - 40 degrees. Never maxed higher than 42 at idle and I would let Realtemp run for hours and everything stayed cool and consistent.

Now enter a ton of different variables.

First, I installed new ram. Mushin 2133 at 1.5v, same voltage as my old ram, but that only ran at 1600.

So higher speed same voltage, will that make any difference in cpu temp?

For a different reason I had to remove my cpu heatsink and place it back on, Evga, also put a new fan on it, one from Noctua.

Upon booting I checked my temps and noticed a difference. It is now running anywhere fr 38-44 degrees at idle but will momentarily spike into the high 50's. This never happened before. Under load I'm hitting high 70s at max, previously I would max at high 60s.

So I decided to put my old fan back on and the results were pretty much the same, still getting quick 10+ degree spikes.

After that I tried reapplying my GELID paste, no luck, temps were the same. I then used Artic Silver with the same results.

Throw in another variable, despite being the end of Oct. it's actually gotten a lot hotter here. Weird weather.

But, I would expect that to cause higher temps, it shouldn't create spikes with no load.

So I'm not really sure what the exact cause is and whether it should be of concern.

Tactix1

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
It's pretty good and actually despite the warmer temperature in my room, everything else is pretty much running the same. My motherboard has gone from 30 degrees at idle to 33, so I don't think ambient temps are making a huge difference anymore.

The case itself is pretty big with good airflow, it's one of the Silverstone Raven's with 2x240mm, 1x120mm, and I recently put an additional 120mm case fan on.

I'll try HWMonitor soon, thanks.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Like intel said try out HWMonitor see what that tells you, it is a decent spike but nothing that would be concerning. The temps your getting with the OC you have is pretty decent. Is your cable management good? Ive had a case where I didnt have very good cable management and when I got a bigger and better case my case temps had a difference of about 8-12C. If that is good, then I would wait till it cools down and see if it was just the heat inside your room

Tactix1

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
My temps aren't looking too good anymore. I'm not sure what some of them correspond to though, like TIMPIN?

This is after a couple hours of gaming with my clock moved down to 4.9:

biwd4h.png

Tactix1

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
So you would say that all of those temps are fine then? I think I'm going to stick to a 4.7ghz clock for now till I upgrade to watercooling.

Currently I have the EVGA Superclock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835288001

But the fan is annoyingly loud so I switched to the Noctua:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608004

I think I'm going to go back to the original fan again and move the Noctua to an exhaust fan behind the motherboard and see if that makes any difference.

Tactix1

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Also, since I don't think I can make another thread atm, I've been wondering about this buzzing noise that I get when my cpu is under load. Of course first thought is that it's a fan, but as you can see from the image posted earlier my fans pretty much run at max RPM whether idle or under load. I've also used one of the tools that came with my motherboard and tested each fan at max RPM, including my videocard and could not reproduce this sound.

To make sure it wasn't some sort of feedback coming from my speakers or headphones, I unplugged both and still the noise occurs anytime I load into a game or begin to actually play.

I had the same problem on my old PC as well, which doesn't share any of the same components as my new build, aside from my internet cable and monitor, everything else including PSU, all fans, etc are different.

In game I can look in certain directions which will cause the noise to occur and it's like this in multiple games. For example, I can quickly move my mouse back and forth and the sound will instantly start and stop as I enter and exit the area that causes the noise.

When at the loading screen of one game on my old setup it would sound almost like a dialup connection when first trying to connect to the internet, of course I'm not on dialup though.

Also, my only hard drive at the moment is an Intel SSD, so it's not that, and no CD-Drive.

Any idea what this could be?

thanks

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Hmm, it could be the PSU overheating and causing it to ramp up to a higher rpm that can cause that sound. Next time it does it check the PSU and see if its making any noise. What games are you hearing these noises in? Some games when they load in it takes awhile for your HDD or SSD to take a second to gather all the necessary information that it needs.

cuteboy

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I know the problem same happened for me!
When you did remove your heat sink the old thermal paste should be removed
I don't know why but that should be done
So Remove all of the thermal paste with alcohol or something like cleaners in both the heatsink and the cpu.
Then apply thermal paste again.
:)
there is a post in this site how to do it
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressure-heatsink,3058-9.html
read it I'm sure this will solve your problem! :bounce:

Tactix1

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks, all the old paste was taken off but I'll try one more time to make sure. Did you have the buzzing sound from old paste being on, or the paste not being applied correctly is what caused it?

I've run it with the panel off and it's still the same. I have another vid that shows how the pitch and frequency of the noise changes depending on what I'm looking at in game. Oddly, when looking at the ground is when it became the loudest, while displaying more objects on screen it was much quieter.

I'm recording from my phone so the volume on it is pretty low, you may have to turn the volume up pretty loud to really hear it. In person though the buzz is loud and drowns out my fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9dB3pOHYk

Again, thanks for all the feedback to such off the wall questions.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Well I'm just trying to do a trial and error process, since it seems to be with only games, it has to be a HDD or graphics card that could make that noise. We already ruled out case fans, PSU fan, CPU fan. So it might be the GPU fan. See what the RPM's go to when playing a game. HWMonitor will show the RPM's and speed percentage. Normally you'll start hearing the GPU fan about 45-60 depending on the GPU. So if its ramping up high that could be the noise. So if the speeds seem fine then take off case fans and see if it was anything to do with them. Then you can rule out case fans so the only thing left would be the heatsink.

Tactix1

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Turns out, it's definitely something game/video related. I just ran Prime95, which of course creates an extreme load on the cpu and it ran without issue, no bizarre noises. But, again in-game I'm getting all sorts of electrical sounding noises as I play. I tested the fans on my videocard again, ramped them all the way up and that didn't produce any buzzing. In game the videocard stays pretty cool, maxes around 55 or so and the fans stay within the 30% range. This is a 670 and I experienced the same buzzing with my old 580.

The only thing that has remained the same through all of this is my monitor, but I don't see how that would remotely cause this, being that the noise is coming from within the case. Even though this monitor is starting to go out on me, it takes forever to turn on and initially my entire screen will be white/grey.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Yeah its really tough to pinpoint where it can be coming from, as of now I would say if its still under warranty then try and RMA it. If you get a new one and it still does it then it has to be something else. When would most likely be the CPU. Run MSI Kombustor and that will put the load on the GPU. And see if it does it then.