CPU Temp Spikes

Friendlyx

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
I recently built my PC and it gets random Temp Spikes, it'll go from like 42 c and then jump to a random 80 C and drop back down in a few seconds, however when it's at 80 C i'll hear the fans run and then go down, what can be causing this? It's so annoying that i'm literally just browsing the web and it'll happen. I did check my CPU usage and it's not going up when it's super load it's 4-20% usage.

List of PC Parts:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TqqZhq

Solution
Friendlyx,

Don't feel alone; you're not the only person experiencing this problem. Here's a 73 page Thread that's been running on Intel's Forums since the 7700K was launched: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k? - https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728

Of course, the title of the Thread is misleading because the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) function properly, but it's still a good read. The solution is primarily fan curves (and time delay options, if available) in BIOS.

Here's a Sticky you should read: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

The problem is described in detail below. From the Guide:

" ... Core temperatures increase and decrease instantly with...
What is your ambient temperature?
I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Check that you have not used too much paste which can act as an insulator.
Check your mounting vs. the instructions.
I also use a NH-U12s .
If the cooler is not clamped down properly you can get a problem.
The proper holes to use are well described, but not obvious if you do not read the instructions carefully.

You have lots of high performing hardware stuffed into a ITX case.

How have you arranged your fans?
I think you should prioritize intake

I fully expect the fans to run fairly fast if the temperature is 80c.
Your motherboard has a section in the bios where you can control the cpu and case fans as you wish.
The cpu fan is relatively quiet; I never hear mine.
Intake is 180mm, and runs around 800 rpm, the exit fan, 120mm runs at the same.
If the minimum and max speeds are the same, you will not hear the speed up and slow down.

Is the fan noise you hear, possibly coming from the case fans?
Again, the bios can control them.
If you can keep fans from turning over 1000 rpm, they will be all but inaudible.

Friendlyx

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

Hi there, yes i updated my BIOS before i started my computer, i attached a picture to show you the voltages as i'm not very familiar with it, however i think it's normal. I haven't overclocked it, never have, this was in another built before i moved it into this built.

Image Showing Voltage: https://ibb.co/dHmv1R I only have 6 chrome tabs open and malware program.

Friendlyx

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

Hi there, my room temperature is 28 C, it doesn't matter if i have the top over it or not, it's still running randomly at random speeds, right now they haven't stopped running fast for a few minutes now, current temp is 55-65.

I only put a "pea" sized and it's similar to what i put in my other build,

I followed the installation guide to a t, i even looked up a video to install it with.

I made sure to tighten it until the screw driver wouldn't go anymore without putting excessive force into it.

I wanted to arrange my fans to have more intake, but to be honest i don't believe thats the issue, even the room isn't that hot, and the CPU stays at a constant 40 C normally, it's just those random spikes that makes it go up way high and i just don't know whats causing it, for reference i have one fan pulling air out of the case on the back, and two on the CPU cooler, pushing from the front to the back, no intakes, i couldn't fit them into the case with the clearance on the top.

My temperatures are usually 40, for example right now it's 40 and i can't hear the fans, which i'm good with, however randomly, like i'll be typing this and BOOM! Right back up! I don't know what's causing it, it was such as hassle to put everything in and don't want to try to reapply the paste and it's the same issue, is there anyway to check if there's a problem with the CPU or motherboard?

I know i can get the BIOS to control the fans at a certain temperature, but i don't like that because i do game and want my fans to adapt, i just don't want my fans to be at full speed while doing nothing.

EDIT: went to a different tab and went up to 75 C and dropped back down to 40 in seconds.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Friendlyx,

Don't feel alone; you're not the only person experiencing this problem. Here's a 73 page Thread that's been running on Intel's Forums since the 7700K was launched: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k? - https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728

Of course, the title of the Thread is misleading because the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) function properly, but it's still a good read. The solution is primarily fan curves (and time delay options, if available) in BIOS.

Here's a Sticky you should read: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

The problem is described in detail below. From the Guide:

" ... Core temperatures increase and decrease instantly with changes in load.

Intel’s specification for Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) response time is 256 milliseconds, or about 1/4th of a second. Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup, which should eventually settle. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive or continued spiking can be disabled. ... "

" ... 6th Generation processors introduced "Speed Shift" technology in Windows 10, which responds much faster to changes in workload than "SpeedStep" due to having many more Core speed and Core voltage transition levels.

Since 7th and 8th Generation Speed Shift is twice as fast as 6th Generation, some users complain of Core temperature spikes which cause fluctuations in fan RPM at idle. Motherboard manufacturers are currently developing BIOS fixes that include separate SpeedStep and Speed Shift settings with more flexible fan curves and time delay options. ... "

" ... Here's the operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C aren't recommended.

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature.

Idle temperatures below 25°C are generally due to Ambient temperatures below 22°C.

Highest Core temperatures occur during stress tests, rendering or transcoding, but are lower during less processor intensive workloads such as applications and gaming. Core temperatures can vary greatly among games due to differences between CPU and GPU workloads. ... "

Keep working with your fan curves. Increase the temperature thresholds till you find a combination that keeps your fans from spinning up during spiking events. Don't hesitate to experiment with setting your fan curves to ramp up at around 80'ish.

The fans on the 7700K in my personal rig are set to stay at 30% idle, (no audible fan noise till about 35 to 40%) then ramp up beginning at 70°C reaching 100% RPM at 79°C. The result is that the fans only ramp up during Ambient temperatures above 26°C when running Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT's or other tests such as RealBench. During all other normal operations, the fans stay idle at 30% RPM.

Manually reducing Core voltage (Vcore) and Load / Line Compensation (LLC) keeps the Core temperatures lower, thereby minimizing the problem. Although you're not overclocking, Google up a few overclocking Guides anyway, which will explain how to minimize Vcore and LLC while maintaining stability. Also, you can work with Task Manager to disable unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that might be contributing to the spiking problem.

CT :sol:

Solution