Question cpu temp spiking when idle

deodo12

Honorable
Nov 1, 2016
My CPU (i7 6700K never overclocked) sits at around 53C then suddenly spikes to 70,80 and even 90 while idle and holds those temperatures for hours sometimes especially 70C. I just changed the thermal paste with no real benefit and the last time I did it before today was 4 years ago. I've faced this for a while now but I didn't have the money to fix it. Could my cooler be done for? It's the Corsair h115i Hydro series 7 years of age now my pump is set to extreme as of today before it was always on quiet same as the fans . Any ideas? I contacted my local PC workshop and they insisted it's the cooler but they told me not to waste time bringing my pc cause the cooler is 100% the issue. So here I am, just wanna be sure of it, what do you guys think?

kanewolf

Titan
My CPU (i7 6700K never overclocked) sits at around 53C then suddenly spikes to 70,80 and even 90 while idle and holds those temperatures for hours sometimes especially 70C. I just changed the thermal paste with no real benefit and the last time I did it before today was 4 years ago. I've faced this for a while now but I didn't have the money to fix it. Could my cooler be done for? It's the Corsair h115i Hydro series 7 years of age now my pump is set to extreme as of today before it was always on quiet same as the fans . Any ideas? I contacted my local PC workshop and they insisted it's the cooler but they told me not to waste time bringing my pc cause the cooler is 100% the issue. So here I am, just wanna be sure of it, what do you guys think?
53C at idle with an H115 is not good to start with. Your pump may be failing.
Is the pump running at constant 100% ?

deodo12

Honorable
Nov 1, 2016
53C at idle with an H115 is not good to start with. Your pump may be failing.
Is the pump running at constant 100% ?
Yeah the pump is running on extreme and it just hit low of 42C but the problems are the spikes, when I play I get 90-100C constant. Yesterday was way worse though with the temperature, it never dropped below 60C