[SOLVED] Cpu temp too hot on idle ?

adityaanand430

Honorable
Mar 14, 2018
I have a 5 year old intel system running intel i3 530 with stock cooler the thermal paste is from 2016 , never applied new thermal paste. My cpu is running 70-80© on idle , when I use any application it touches around 100© and shuts itself down. Is the thermal paste the problem or the cpu cooler?

Solution
Hey there,

Yes, it's very possible it's the paste. It degrades over time, and loses effectiveness. As @Nine Layer Nige mentioned cleaning the cooler with some compressed air, and blow out the dust will also help. This is known as 'PC housekeeping'. Keep your internals clean and dust free.

In terms of paste to use, which you will most likely have to do, to be sure - You can use Arctic MX4/Thermal Grizzly Kryo, Noctua NT H1. All of which are excellent pastes.
Hey there,

Yes, it's very possible it's the paste. It degrades over time, and loses effectiveness. As @Nine Layer Nige mentioned cleaning the cooler with some compressed air, and blow out the dust will also help. This is known as 'PC housekeeping'. Keep your internals clean and dust free.

In terms of paste to use, which you will most likely have to do, to be sure - You can use Arctic MX4/Thermal Grizzly Kryo, Noctua NT H1. All of which are excellent pastes.

Reactions: adityaanand430
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
'Good' paste generally lasts @ 8 years before the ethers and silicates start breaking down and you start losing thermal conductivity. The stock paste isn't all that good, but is decent, so 5-6 years untouched would be about average usage.

I'd pull the cooler, clean out the fan gently, and give the heatsink a bath. Then repaste. My preferences run towards Noctua, gelid extreme, Prolimatech pk3 or kryonaut. Arctic mx4 is a really good all purpose paste.

Reactions: adityaanand430

adityaanand430

Honorable
Mar 14, 2018
Hey there,

Okey thanks I will try it.

adityaanand430

Honorable
Mar 14, 2018
'Good' paste generally lasts @ 8 years before the ethers and silicates start breaking down and you start losing thermal conductivity. The stock paste isn't all that good, but is decent, so 5-6 years untouched would be about average usage.

I'd pull the cooler, clean out the fan gently, and give the heatsink a bath. Then repaste. My preferences run towards Noctua, gelid extreme, Prolimatech pk3 or kryonaut. Arctic mx4 is a really good all purpose paste.
I will have a look thank you.

adityaanand430

Honorable
Mar 14, 2018
I have a 5 year old intel system running intel i3 530 with stock cooler the thermal paste is from 2016 , never applied new thermal paste. My cpu is running 70-80© on idle , when I use any application it touches around 100© and shuts itself down. Is the thermal paste the problem or the cpu cooler?
Guys I finally added a new cooler master i70 cooler with new thermal paste and the ideal temp is now hovering around 25-37 °Cand on load it goes around 80 °C.

Guys I finally added a new cooler master i70 cooler with new thermal paste and the ideal temp is now hovering around 25-37 °Cand on load it goes around 80 °C.
That's a very weak cooler. Not any better than Intel stock cooler. It is just a waste of money.
There are decently performing inexpensive cooler options like - Deepcool Gammaxx 400 and Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo.

adityaanand430

Honorable
Mar 14, 2018
That's a very weak cooler. Not any better than Intel stock cooler. It is just a waste of money.
There are decently performing inexpensive cooler options like - Deepcool Gammaxx 400 and Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo.
I know but it's working great for me on 100% load it barely touched 60 and my system is pretty old so it doesn't worth spending that much on a Cooler.