CPU Temp under load too high?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey all,

I just replaced the stock cooler from my i5 2500k with the Cooler Master Hyper N 520. I am doing some encoding with handbrake (97%-100% cpu load) and getting temps around 70c from Real Temp, and these temps started right away, not hours into encoding.

I've read others saying that they rarely get above 55c and most max at 60c with this cooler. I am OC'd to 4.6GHz, have a HAF 932 (all intake and exhaust fans are running) case and used the supplied thermal compound.

Even before I OC'd (3.3GHz) I was hitting 65c.

Are these temps alright, they seem high to me. I've felt inside my case and the HSF is warm. Any ideas as to what I could do to lower these temps?

Thanks everyone!

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Read my First Post on this thread(My post not the first post)... I said it clearly that "My i7 950" is my CPU

G

I find it misleading too.

G

Thank you all for your replies! I went through the whole process of re-installing the HSF and cleaned off the old and applied new thermal compound.
Now doing the same handbrake encoding that I was earlier hitting mid 70's C , I now am in the mid 50's C full load, OC @ 4.2GHz. A HUGE improvement over the stock HSF which I saw hit over 90, stock 3.3GHz! I can't believe Intel would ship such a terrible cooler.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Thank you all for your replies! I went through the whole process of re-installing the HSF and cleaned off the old and applied new thermal compound.
Now doing the same handbrake encoding that I was earlier hitting mid 70's C , I now am in the mid 50's C full load, OC @ 4.2GHz. A HUGE improvement over the stock HSF which I saw hit over 90, stock 3.3GHz! I can't believe Intel would ship such a terrible cooler.
It depend on the height of the cooler they sent tho... My bro got a stock intel HS for his CPU and is 2 inch tall for his Q9550, He OC it to 3.59GHz and hit in the high 70s on "LOAD" but not 80s tho... My other bro bought a Q9550 and got a half inch height stock heatsink and he was hitting 70*C(Stock clocks) average on "idle" He replaced it with a H50 and temp never passed 50*C @ 2.83GHz(Stock)... You probably got the half inch heat sink or the 1 inch... BTW, When you install a heatsink, make sure once you put it in, dont pull it back out, Air is the worst heat conducting or heat transferring...

G

I did get one of those half inch coolers, and it was pretty useless.

As for lifting the the HSF after getting it set, that's exactly what I did. I lifted it to make sure the thermal compound had made contact with the cooler. I redid the whole process, second time around I was sure not to lift it once I got it in place. My full load temps are 15-20C cooler!
This was my first build, and I had no idea how big a difference a little air pocket could make. I now know better for next time.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I did get one of those half inch coolers, and it was pretty useless.

As for lifting the the HSF after getting it set, that's exactly what I did. I lifted it to make sure the thermal compound had made contact with the cooler. I redid the whole process, second time around I was sure not to lift it once I got it in place. My full load temps are 15-20C cooler!
This was my first build, and I had no idea how big a difference a little air pocket could make. I now know better for next time.
Now you know lol... Just not let air get in the middle of the thermal compound when putting a heatsink on otherwise your in bad luck, BTW dont put too much thermal compound, it is said to do better with less thermal compound or at least cover up the whole CPU with thermal compound than put HSF on it...

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Yeah, if you want the best heatsink, look for these spec:
Copper Base
At least 4 copper heat pipes or more
Aluminum fins
These are good spec to keep you cooled...
BTW the all copper heatsink like the ThermalRight(Look on google) doesn't do any better, it's so heavy and it cost about $200 for the same performance as the other like ThermalRight Arrow... Aluminum cool down faster awhile copper absorb heat better...
Copper Base + Copper Heat Pipes + Aluminum Fins = Perfect HeatSink

cbrunnem

Distinguished
perfect heatsink would be would be a heatsink made of all silver or preferable diamond. they have better specific heats. but reasonably wise copper fins would be better.

a copper base only slows down the processor heating up at first but once it is soaked it makes no difference if the heat pipes are in direct contact.

tauseef7061

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hey guys.
I have got a t7500 2.2 core 2 processor which would reach 98 C under extreme gaming.
I called dell and they replaced the motherboard, fan, and the heat sink.

The temperature is better but it still reached 85C while playing game (flight sim). What do u think is the problem?

Laptop dell vostro 1500 with NVIDIA 8600M GT.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.