CPU Temp under load too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey all,

I just replaced the stock cooler from my i5 2500k with the Cooler Master Hyper N 520. I am doing some encoding with handbrake (97%-100% cpu load) and getting temps around 70c from Real Temp, and these temps started right away, not hours into encoding.

I've read others saying that they rarely get above 55c and most max at 60c with this cooler. I am OC'd to 4.6GHz, have a HAF 932 (all intake and exhaust fans are running) case and used the supplied thermal compound.

Even before I OC'd (3.3GHz) I was hitting 65c.

Are these temps alright, they seem high to me. I've felt inside my case and the HSF is warm. Any ideas as to what I could do to lower these temps?

Thanks everyone!

seriux

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Thats high for not being a stock cooler. My 2600k with a coolermaster evo will not go over 50 degrees when stress testing it with prime95. Even if you used the stock thermal grease from coolermaster you still seem hi. Id try re applying the heat sink.

Good luck.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
When you OC, Make sure when you MAX CPU usage, dont get it over 85*C OR if you dont, dont let it hit 75*C when normal use like playing BF3... Here's some tip you could do but I dont recommend them, only if you are getting high temps...
~Lap the CPU+Heatsink
~Get 100% Liquid Metal Thermal Compound(It can be found on FrozenCPU.COM website, search it on google)
~Get better Cooler
~Live in colder place(Some people that said they're CPU are 60s or so probably line in new york or so...)
~Live in colder house and let your computer warm it up...

What I recommend you to do:
~Underclock it if you dont like that temp because at that high OC, it's using as much as my i7 950 at 4GHz @ 160w~180Watts, maybe more because an 2600k OC to 4.6~4.9GHz is already at 200w~220Watts

Cryosis00

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
That is high to me, but your also overclocked your CPU quiet a bit.

When you switched to your aftermarket cooler did you remove the old thermal paste and reapply new thermal paste before seating the new hardware?

What are your idle temps too? Your idle should be +-2 degree from ambient room temps.

G

Real Temp

G

Thanks,
I thought that might be the issue. When i applied the thermal compound I got caught up doing something else, and I left the compound sit on the cpu surface for a while before I put the heat sink on. Could this have messed things up?

G

I know that overclocking will be responsible to higher temps, but even before over clocking I was at 65c while using handbrake.

I did remove the old thermal compound. I idle in the high 20's - low 30's centigrade.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
70 degrees is normal for that overclock. if i were you id ship that cooler back and get a better one if your going to be running that high an overclock for that long under full load. im assuming you do a lot of encoding.

also to whoever said that 85* is max safe temperature is plain wrong. if you run your cpu that hot for long enough you will not have a cpu. maybe a year tops it would last. ideally keep the temps under 60* but under 70* is ok. also the amount of damage done to a cpu by temperature isnt linear. so more damage will be done going from 70 to 80 then 60 to 70.

G

I actually don't plan to OC that much, and I will probably knock it down from 4.6. The only reason I really OC'd in the first place was to compare the temps from before and after. If I knock the OC down do you think the cooler I have will do ok?

1) did not catch what your ambient temp is. Our house, winter time Room temp seldom above 68 F, and summur time goes up to mid 70s. If your cpu temp is currently 70 with an ambient temp of 70 F, then in the summur your ambient temp goest to say 75->77 F, then expect your core temps to go up by 8->10C.

My cooler is a zalman 9900Max and during the summer with an OC of 4.6 I was hitting low 60s if I remember correctly.

If you maintain a max of 70 ± 3 C (for 8 out 24 Hours per day), your CPU should last until it is time to replace, THAT is NOT to say the cooler the better, Myself do not like to go above 65C. Max temp for the 2500k is mid 90's at which point the CPU will start to throttle down.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

I didn't say max safe temp was at 85*C... What I said was that just keep the temp when "Full Load" under 85*C and Below 70*C on normal use or when playing games like BF3... When I play MW3, I made sure it would be under 70*C when I OCed it to 4Ghz and the max i seen on CoreTemp was 64*C(Average is 55-60*C) which is great for a 4GHz normal use... My max temp is 100*C+ LMSAO BUT I was able to get the OC by copying the setting from people who did a test on a cooler and that was successful with 4GHz OC...

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

You forgot about voltage, higher voltage is worst than temperature if it's under 75*C... 1.4V is dam high lol...

cbrunnem

Distinguished

you can let your cpu get up to 85* but mines not going to get up there at any time. your temps should be below 70 degrees under full load not 85*. also you must have a shitty cooler on your cpu cause at 4.0 my cpu never goes over 65* during prime95 testing and never over 45-47 degrees while gaming.

100 degrees??? by copying someone elses overclock? i wouldnt take advice from this guy,

G

So what would be a good voltage to set it to? I can do this from the BIOS right?

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

IDK what kind of CPU you got but My CPU is a i7 950 foo... I dont really know what kind of CPU you talk about that is under 65*C but you haven't read what CPU I got... My cooler is a old cooler from a 775 Socket with 1366 bracket so I just put it on mine, with that said, it's better than stock cooler... It takes about 5~7 min for my CPU to hit around the 90s, BTW I lapped my CPU and my Heatsink which drop about 3*C on idle and bf lapped, the cpu hit 100*C in like 1-3 min...

i7 950 1.34v 167x34 @ 4.08GHz HTT Enabled
I'd like to see you try and get an i7 950 and get below 65*C with the same Clock speed with HTT Enabled :/...

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Your dumb? @ 1.45v, your CPU wont even last a year, maybe, but not 2 year for sure...
READ THIS,

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html
Scroll down until you see the "So why 1.35v vCore?"

~This should solve your temp issue....

I want to do 4.8GHz, but my temps are too high - What can I do?

~The first thing that I would suggest is to check whether or not you really need hyperthreading enabled, check the documentation for your most used software, even today, many programs do not take advantage of this feature. By disabling hyperthreading, your CPU should run much cooler, and will probably require less voltage to get to 4.8GHz.
~Dial down those voltages - During your overclocking escapades, it's all too easy to avoid the time consuming method of raising the voltage one notch at a time, and to increase it in larger increments. Many people tend to leave the voltages once they have the CPU stable, and you can sometimes reduce the temps by a few degrees.
~Consider better cooling - Sometimes, simply adding a better fan to your cooler can make a worthwhile difference, similarly, if you have a tower type cooler that can accommodate two fans, then a push/pull configuration can also make a reasonable difference. Decent thermal paste, properly applied is a must.
~Make sure that your case has adequate airflow and is free from messy wires and clutter. Experiment with fan orientation too, efficient exhausting of hot air is essential.

Max Vcore for I5-2500k is 1.5V (Intel spec sheet). From what I've read recommended max is like 1.4 or less, My limit is 1.30 V

On turning Hyperthreading off - I5-2500k is a 4core/4thread CPU - No Hyperthreading. I7-2600k = 4 cores 8 threads, and Hyperthread can be turned off.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

oh lol well you OP has a 2500k and you talked like you had the same thing when you referenced your cpu as a comparison. easy mistake. now if that was a sandy bridge temps you were talking about i would stand by my statements.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

cool your siteing info thats over a year old. back from a time when not much was known about these cpu's.

also 1.4 and 1.45 is a big difference buddy. the dangers of voltage is not linear.

oh and i remember when i was in elementary school and everyone called each other stupid cause they had different opinions. grow up.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

that is far from the truth. maybe 4.5 if you have a really good chip.

G

Most chips should be able to get 4.5 at 1.3v.

Status
Not open for further replies.