teh_ak

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Hi all i am currently running a single FX-74 (Sadface, I have been wanting a second, but something seems to always come up and steal my money away so i cant get the second). Anywhoo my motherboard blew up about a month ago. Thats a diff story, dont try to deal with asus, the will say something broke in shipping and take a year to deal with you. Anyway, i got it back and set it all back up and its overheating! :fou: I decide it must be the old cpu Thermal goo. So i scrape it off then think to my self, shoot, i bet that fan is clogged up with dust like no other, just like my case was. (second day of having case i stepped throught the side window avoiding my dog, ever since then no side, lots of dust) Sure enough, TONS of dust, i clean it out, set it all back up and turn it on. Still running hot, not as hot and this time it had no thermal... Not good i know, but it was just for a sec to see, so today i went to FRY's. Its an electronics place. Got my self a thermaltake CPU Fan. Replaced the one AMD Sends you, alchohol swabbed off the old goop, applied new stuff and its running at a steady 76°C :eek: seems hot! The Max temp it says for ambient temp (no idea what that means) is 56°C. Sooo... what do i do? Please help!

Thanks all in advance.

:bounce: - I like him

arges86

Distinguished
is your room particularly warm?
if u put to much TIM on, or too little that could effect your temp.
Also, if the BIOS has the CPU fan throttled down to prevent noise that could be an issue as well
overvolting will also raise heat (duh i know)

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
First of all, make sure your BIOS is up to date, and check the temperatures in the BIOS and in a variety of programs like HWMoniter and COREtemp. If they are all hot, reseat the heatsink, first. Use only a little thermal compound, just a drop the size of a grain of rice in the middle, or spread out a thin, THIN layer of compound on the CPU or fan itself.

PS: The Max Ambient Temp is the highest case temperature in which it can be expected to operate, not the highest acceptable CPU temp. That should be in the mid to high sixties.

teh_ak

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Thanks all for the responses. Well right now the processor looks like i put to much sunscreen on it and it has a good white film, not solid white but semi transparent. Good enough amount? It is just there to keep air out so i assumed that should be enough. I had a big glob before but i wiped some off. If so then awesome, that should be an easy fix. If not then okay. The voltage, thing, my motherboard, "The Quad Father" aka L1n64-SLI WS OC's on its own or has the option too. It is set to "Auto" right now which is its recommended default setting and i have had this machine for almost 2 1/2 years and it has run beautifully. So, i should hope the voltage wont be an issue. But the Bios update i will attempt.

teh_ak

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
No, not this time, the time before yes. Anywhoo just to let you all know, i added a little bit more thermal Grease? and it workes fine, running in the high 60's slightly oc'd so that is fine with me