[SOLVED] CPU Temp

Nov 28, 2021
Is it normal for my Ryzen 7 5800x to be running this hot? I was checking on Core Temp and at idle my cpu sits at around 54C and over time climbs 80C while gaming. My computer also has the tendency to crash and I'm thinking that this might be the issue. I'm only using the stock cooler that came with the computer and I've taken off the glass siding because it's lacking case fans. Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
54c and 80c are a bit o the higher side but nothing alarming. CPU temp. depends on a lot of factors like cooler, case airflow, case cooling, thermal compound, VRM cooling and ambient temp. 5800x doesn't come with any stock cooler and the fact that you are referring to one denotes it being a prebuilt PC, I could be wrong though. Prebuilt units are pretty well known for their lack of adequate power and cooling requirements to maintain profit margins. Without sufficient cooling, the CPU might deteriorate over time and start throttling thus reducing its life span.
I would start with full list of specs. in detail, and that means as much detail of each part as possible.
54c and 80c are a bit o the higher side but nothing alarming. CPU temp. depends on a lot of factors like cooler, case airflow, case cooling, thermal compound, VRM cooling and ambient temp. 5800x doesn't come with any stock cooler and the fact that you are referring to one denotes it being a prebuilt PC, I could be wrong though. Prebuilt units are pretty well known for their lack of adequate power and cooling requirements to maintain profit margins. Without sufficient cooling, the CPU might deteriorate over time and start throttling thus reducing its life span.
I would start with full list of specs. in detail, and that means as much detail of each part as possible.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
I have a Ryzen 5 5600x, and before i got a 120 EK AIO i had the stock ryzen cooler on it. It would stay at around 50c idle and hit 70-85c while playing games. Gears 5 for example easily pushed it above a constant 80c. While this is still within expected operation, i didn't like that... so i bought an AIO. Now it is 35-40c idle and stays between a comfy 60-70c while gaming. That is just with a single fan AIO. My PC case is super bad and has terrible airflow, on top of only having the ability to support a 120 AIO lol.

Anyways, those temps are normal for a stock fan on a zen3 processor. I would just buy a 240 AIO if your case supports it. Just do some research before smashing buy on the first one you see. Just google "Best AIO for 5800x" and go through the website lists until you find one with the pricing, features, reviews, and aesthetics you like.

Nov 28, 2021
Yes, unfortunately it is a prebuilt. I needed to make the upgrade from my laptop and this was the only way given my short timeframe. That being said, I don't know the full specs of what I've got. Asus has made it quite the chore but I'll give what I can find. If you want to do your own research as well, I have the Asus G15DK and I upgraded the ram.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Mobo: X570 G15DK (AM4)
Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Graphics: NVIDIA 3070 8GB - dual fan
Power Supply: 700W

The case itself is also a piece of garbage. Terrible airflow and It doesn't even look like I can install new fans. The mobo also doesn't seem to have any extra headers either. I haven't had the time to take everything off and get a good look yet so there may be some hidden somewhere, but I doubt it. Really the only case fan that came installed was an 80mm exhaust but there's no intake at all. Other than that, I've got the cpu cooler and the two fans built into the graphics card. This is why I took off the glass panel in the hopes it would help with the cooling.

Last edited:
Yes, unfortunately it is a prebuilt. I needed to make the upgrade from my laptop and this was the only way given my short timeframe. That being said, I don't know the full specs of what I've got. Asus has made it quite the chore but I'll give what I can find. If you want to do your own research as well, I have the Asus G15DK and I upgraded the ram.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Mobo: X570 G15DK (AM4)
Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Graphics: NVIDIA 3070 8GB - dual fan
Power Supply: 700W

The case itself is also a piece of garbage. Terrible airflow and It doesn't even look like I can install new fans. The mobo also doesn't seem to have any extra headers either. I haven't had the time to take everything off and get a good look yet so there may be some hidden somewhere, but I doubt it. Really the only case fan that came installed was an 80mm exhaust but there's no intake at all. Other than that, I've got the cpu cooler and the two fans built into the graphics card. This is why I took off the glass panel in the hopes it would help with the cooling.
Yeah, that pretty much checks out. Barring the CPU and GPU the rest are all inferior quality. But here's the catch. If you switch anything for a better alternative, it will void the warranty. And if you don't, it will deteriorate over time. So, that is a decision you have to make before touching the internals. I think you should talk to ASUS customer service first and get some clarity about the implications and alternatives.
It is very wise of you to open the side panel. That case looks like an oven.